Towing tank with wave generator and technical support
The towing tank is suitable for evaluating hydrodynamic lift and drag components for small craft, sailing and motor.
- 60m in length, 3.7m wide and 1.8m deep
- Carriage top speed of 4.0m/s
- Computer-controlled wave generator
- Test scale models up to 2m in length and 50kg in weight
- Test wave and tidal renewable energy devices
- Can be used for instrument calibration.
Survey vessel with technical support
Solent Surveyor is available for a range of activities, such as marine surveying, environmental science work and navigation training.
Survey vessel overview
- L.O.A: 9.95m
- Beam: 4.5m
- Max speed: 18 knots
- Cruising speed: 14-16 knots
- Draught: 1m
- Disp: 8.5 tonnes
- Max capacity: 14 passengers + two crew
- Generator: 4.5KvA 240volt
- Range: 160 miles (approx.) - up to 20 miles from safe haven.
- Seatronics Bathy-500MF multi-frequency survey echo sounder
- Ohmex TidaLite tide gauge
- HYPACK Hydrographic Survey Software
- CMAX 2 digital sidescan sonar
- Trimble MS750 RTK GPS system
- Simrad HS-50 Differential GPS.
- Valeport CTD
- YSI environmental multi-meter
- Alec current meter Valeport CTD/current/turbidity autonomous logging package
- ‘A’ frame 250kg max.
- Van Veen grab
- Day grab and plankton nets.
- Two full-size chart tables, seating for eight
- Four networked E-series Raymarine monitors running 'Navionics Platinum' chart software, with integrated radar and dual frequency depth sounder
- Independent Tridata speed/depth/wind instrumentation
- Simrad directional GPS with Pelorus
- Night navigation capability
- Other: heads, galley with kettle and microwave.
For more details on these facilities, contact Sue Bowles.