Product design and manufacture
CNC 5 axis router
We have a Thermwood 67 five axis CNC router with a bed size of 10x5x2ft. This is a highly useful tool for creation of all manner of shapes. In the University, it is mainly used to machine scale yacht hull models from styrene foam. These models are then tested in our towing tank facility.
Stratasys FDM Titan 3D
The Stratasys FDM Titan 3D is a rapid prototyping system that uses fused deposition modelling technology to create ABS plastic prototypes of parts. The part specifications can be provided in a number of files, including IGES.
A Creaform VIUScanner 3D colour laser scanner is available. This hand-held 3D scanner has a resolution of 0.1mm. Scanned data can be processed using GeoMagic Studio, then exported in IGES format for further manipulation.
A number of software suites can be utilised to create and modify product or part designs. Drawings and visualisations as well as IGES files can be created.
FRP composite workshop
This consists of:
- Twelve workstations for specialised, advanced composite building methods
- Wet lay vacuum bagging for single project or short product run construction methods using male/female mould tools
- Resin infusion for in-mould production using female tooling
- Pre-impregnated fibre construction for female tooling requiring elevated temperature
- Repair methods for each of the above.
Download the Advanced Composites Laboratory leaflet
For more details on these facilities, please contact Sue Bowles: