With 25 years’ experience in outdoor leisure, Southampton Solent University are experts at producing knowledgeable and industry ready adventure management graduates. Combining the practical elements of adventure sports management with essential business management skills, this programme is well suited to those who are looking to enter the sports tourism, leisure or outdoor entertainment industry.
- Southampton Solent University is ideally positioned to offer a range of watersports training.
- Students enjoy easy access to the New Forest and its many outdoor attractions.
- Management and business skills are taught throughout the degree, giving you the essential transferable skills needed for management roles.
- Students are offered the opportunity to earn national governing body (NGB) awards.
- Excellent sports facilities enable you to practice the activities you love throughout your time at Southampton Solent.
- Tuition fees include the cost of outdoor residential experiences during year one, and a range of day trips, short breaks and industry visits in year two and year three.
- Strong industry links and an established graduate network have helped past students to secure work placements, permanent jobs and options for work placements abroad during their studies.
- The course is taught by a highly experienced team, many of whom are still active in the outdoor industry.
- Solent’s RYA Training Centre is rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.
- Ample support is given to students interested in setting up their own business.
The adventure and outdoor entertainment industry is extraordinarily broad, giving you a chance to combine the activities you love with a long and lucrative career. An outdoor and adventure management degree will help you to get this career started, potentially giving you an advantage over those who are choosing to work their way up in the industry.
This is especially true at a time when the industry is in urgent need of ‘work ready’ graduates who understand what it takes to manage outdoor activities and related outdoor industry provision.
The curriculum was constructed with vital transferable business skills in mind. Whether it be finance, human resources or site management, this course aims to equip learners with the knowledge they need to succeed in managerial roles.
The beginning of the course covers a range of topics and aims to give learners a broad knowledge of the industry. During the second year students are encouraged to explore their particular areas of interest through application to assessments and research projects. In the third year of study, students are able to specialise and pursue optional units that relate to their desired career.
Students are also offered the opportunity to undertake flexible work placements before the end of year two, encouraging the development of real-world skills in a ‘live’ industry setting. This placement can also be carried out abroad, which is ideal for those considering employment overseas at the end of their degree.
Teaching is delivered by a course team with a wealth of experience in the outdoor sectors, enabling past students to take advantage of strong links with industry partners. These partners include the Skills Active Outdoor Employer Group, the Institute for Outdoor Learning, JB Ski, Neilson, Skern Lodge, and many more.
These partnerships also enable the team to keep up to date on trends and issues that affect the industry and offer students a range of guest lectures, live briefs, work placements and recruitment opportunities.
Students are given the chance to study NGBs. These extra qualifications help to ensure that when it’s time to look for a professional role, Southampton Solent graduates stand out from the crowd. These NGBs include: RYA Safety boat, Dinghy Instructor/BMC Climbing Wall Award – Training, NICAS and lead climbing/BCU star awards.
Some NGB’s are delivered as part of the course, whereas others can be undertaken as extracurricular enrichment activities. Students are also encouraged to engage with Solent’s many clubs and societies.
Southampton Solent University is perfectly equipped to deliver training in a range of traditional and water based outdoor activities. We are just a short distance from Warsash Maritime Academy’s RYA Training Centre (a part of Southampton Solent University), which offers a vast array of first-class watersport facilities.
Are you interested in starting your own business? Southampton Solent’s enterprise centre is dedicated to helping student entrepreneurs to achieve success - providing support in the form of funding, office space, mentoring and guidance, all of which can be accessed both throughout and after your time here as a student.
For the second year running, Southampton Solent University has been named as one of Britain’s top 20 universities for graduate start-ups (Higher Education Business and Community Interaction Survey 2014-15).
Think a career in outdoor management might be for you? With close industry links, outdoor residential trips, and opportunities to learn a range of valuable management skills, Southampton Solent University is the ideal place to get your career off to a great start.