Are you interested in a career in sport and exercise science? This degree specialises in physiological, psychological and biomechanical theories, focusing on how these can be used to enhance human performance. You’ll be able to put these theories into practice in the University’s industry-standard labs, as well as through opportunities for internships. You can also specialise in your third year, allowing you to hone your expertise further.
- This degree scored 100% for student satisfaction in the 2014 National Student Survey.
- Students have access to first class facilities, which are regularly used by professional athletes, such as players from Southampton FC.
- The course is accredited by The Register of Exercise Professionals and The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences.
- Previous students have had the opportunity to gain national governing body and industry awards during their degree.
- Past students have had to the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with live clients.
- Students can specialise in their third year.
- Gaining work experience is encouraged and past students have been placed with University partners including GB Wheelchair Rugby and Reed’s High Performance Academy.
- Students are taught by an experienced course team who have backgrounds in research and have worked with the England Women’s football and rugby squads, GB rugby league, GB orienteering, GB wheelchair rugby and several professional football clubs from the Premier League to League 2.
- The course team has good industry links, from which students can benefit.
The sports industry is highly competitive. Southampton Solent’s sport science degree equips students with the key skills, detailed knowledge and practical experience needed to succeed in this area.
This industry-focused degree aims to prepare students for roles such as an exercise physiologist, sport scientist, or strength and conditioning coach. Recent graduates have gone on to roles including a GPS analyst, head performance scientist, strength and conditioning specialist, and a coach for a sailing team. Graduates have also gone on to work with the Royal Marines.
Students have access to the University’s outstanding sport and exercise facilities, including fully equipped modern physiology, psychology, biomechanics, and health and exercise labs. The physiology laboratory is officially accredited by the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), marking it as one of the UK’s leading sport and exercise science facilities.
To complement their degree studies, students are encouraged to prepare for BASES and UK Strength and Conditioning Association (UKSCA) professional accreditation and join Level 2 of the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs), with the option to attain Level 3. This combination of academic and industry qualifications can help students build their professional network and increase employability upon graduation.
To help prepare students for a career in the sports industry, the University encourages a practical, hands-on approach. The course team’s background in sport science research and their strong industry links have given past students the opportunity to undertake optional internships with the University’s partner Southampton FC and a range of other top sports organisations, including a number of professional football and rugby clubs, Hampshire Cricket, Spire Hospital, and local athletics clubs. Those aspiring to be teachers have been able to gain experience through school placements and after-hours sports clubs.
The course team’s links with the industry have also provided past students opportunities to attend guest lectures. Recent speakers have included international sport scientists from the English Institute of Sport, international cricket and premiership football, and from GB squads such as wheelchair rugby, sailing and basketball.
Think you can see yourself as a sports scientist? With its industry-standard labs, focus on practical experience and strong industry links, Southampton Solent’s applied sport science degree will allow you to develop the theoretical and practical skills valued by employers to open up a wide range of career opportunities in sport and exercise science, across every sport.
* NSS 2014, BSc (Hons) Applied Sport Science. Please note that information displayed on KIS/Unistats may include data from previous years, or other Solent courses within the wider subject area.