Do you want to turn your love of writing into a professional career? Southampton Solent University’s English and creative writing degree will allow you to develop your own personal writing style while learning about the business of creative writing.
- The 2015 National Student Survey placed Southampton Solent University in the top ten UK universities for English studies, with a 95 per cent overall satisfaction score.*
- The course employs an innovative approach to the study of literature.
- Teaching is delivered by an academic team of researchers and industry professionals.
- Past students studying on the English and creative writing degree have had opportunities to go on national and international study trips.
- Students are encouraged to explore their own practical and creative writing interests.
- There may be the opportunity to study a foreign language alongside degree studies.
* Courses grouped in the English studies JACS subject area, compared to 101 other universities. Students studying full-time on first degrees.
The creative industries continues to grow and are estimated to employ over 1.8m people in the UK, an increase of 5.5% since 2013 (Department for Culture, Media & Sport, 2015).
Southampton Solent’s English and creative writing degree helps students to develop the practical skills required for a range of roles. Suitable roles include media production, publishing, journalism, creative writing, copywriting, freelance writing, public relations, research or information management.
Solent’s English and creative writing degree programme provides students with an understanding of how various forms of creative and professional writing are planned, developed and creatively executed, as well as how creative writing theory can be married to creative writing practice.
Core areas of study include literary theory, poetry, writing and play texts. Students also have the opportunity to study a range of optional units, allowing them to delve deeper into specific subjects and focus on areas of writing that are of the most interest.
Students are encouraged to critically analyse, evaluate and interpret the means by which literature, language and creative writing can influence and reflect cultural change. As part of this, students will explore literary texts and learn the craft of writing for a range of industries, developing creative talent and laying the foundations to prepare for a career in creative writing.
Students will also have the opportunity to develop transferable skills including research, analytical, communication and team working skills.
Teaching is delivered by an academic team which includes researchers and industry professionals, many of whom have had their own work published and continue to actively write within their respective industries. Their enthusiasm for their subject area has seen them introduce an innovative approach to the study of literature on this course.
The course has a strong focus on employability and students are supported in finding their own work placements. Students on the English and creative writing course may also have the opportunity to pitch for work experience through our in-house agency, Solent Creatives, providing opportunities to work on live briefs from real-world clients.
We are proud that students studying on Southampton Solent’s English-related courses gave a 96 per cent overall satisfaction rating in the 2014 National Student Survey. This placed the University amongst the top ten UK universities for English studies.
Think you've got what it takes to write professionally? Southampton Solent’s innovative English and creative writing degree can help you develop your writing style and build a portfolio of professional work, helping you to take your first step towards a professional writing career.