Got a passion for English? Looking for a degree that can open up a wide range of professional careers? Southampton Solent University’s English and media degree programme combines two versatile subjects to create an excellent foundation for careers in marketing, PR, post-production, journalism, publishing and much more.
- The 2014 National Student Survey placed Southampton Solent in the top ten UK universities for English studies, with a 96 per cent overall satisfaction score.
- Students study a range of literary areas including poetry, Shakespearian theatre, and classic novels.
- Students learn a range of relevant media skills including production, post-production, and scriptwriting.
- Students have access to a range of professional facilities including three fully equipped television studios and a 200-seat HD multi-camera studio.
- Southampton Solent’s media academy offers a comprehensive media loans scheme, giving students free access to a range of modern film-making equipment including high-definition (HD) video cameras and DSLR full-frame cameras.
- Students are also able to access a wide range of top-quality lenses and lighting kits.
- Solent’s English and media programme is taught by tutors with extensive professional and academic backgrounds.
- Solent Creatives, our on-campus creative agency, provides students with the opportunity to work on real-life projects. Media students are invited to pitch for paid work, giving them the chance to gain valuable work experience and build up a professional portfolio.
- Southampton Solent University was voted for by students as being one of the UK’s top creative universities in the 2013 and 2014 Which? University Survey.
The creative industries is steadily growing, accounting for 1 in 17 (5.8%) of all UK jobs in 2014 (Department for Culture, Media & Sport, 2015). The number of UK businesses involved in the film production industry specifically has risen by 32% since 2009, with over 8,500 film companies currently employing 40,000 full-time staff between them (BFI Research and Statistics). As the creative industries in the UK continue to thrive, there will be a continued need for graduates with the right combination of practical skills and academic experience.
Southampton Solent University’s English and media programme encourages students to think in new and imaginative ways about fiction, drama, poetry and language, as well as providing practical media training.
Taught by knowledgeable researchers and industry professionals, students examine western and non-western cultural contexts and the significance of media and literature in shaping identity, ideology, representations and politics – all the time discussing the contrasts and similarities between the two arts.
Learners also study the literary greats and hone their writing skills through assessed exercises and group projects. These skills can then feed into practical digital media, video, radio and photographic production projects.
Students are encouraged to work with others on these projects, mirroring professional working practises and teaching students to effectively work with students from other creative disciplines.
English and media at Solent aims to combine real-world experience with creative and technical teaching. As such, students are supported as they look for work experience. Past students have been involved in producing audio-visual content at Glastonbury music festival and Cowes Week sailing regatta to name just a few.
Solent University’s media academy is a hub for creative students at Solent, with three green screen TV studios, a large visual recording studio with capacity for 200 seated audience members and a range of radio and music production facilities. Our large edit suites feature Mac Pro computers and the full Adobe Creative Suite for editing, colour grading and special effects.
The recent 2014 National Student Survey placed Southampton Solent in the top ten UK universities for English studies, with a 96 per cent overall satisfaction score. This means that our students have a positive experience while studying with us and are happy with the opportunities available to them.
Would like to study at the point where English and media overlap? With an accomplished teaching team, first class production facilities and a unique emphasis on the importance of work placements, Southampton Solent’s English and media degree will help equip you with the transferable skills you’ll need to kick-start a range of careers in the creative industries.