Southampton Solent University is friendly, dynamic and innovative. Our high quality academic programmes are built to produce individuals equipped with the skills that modern employers are looking for. We also offer a range of cultural, artistic, sporting and social opportunities, all designed to enhance your student experience and boost your future prospects.
Why choose Solent?
- Welcoming - Southampton Solent University is an inclusive and welcoming environment. International students start a week earlier than other students, giving them the chance to get accustomed to the campus and make friends with other international students. Student groups and societies organise regular networking events for international students throughout the year.
- Location - Southampton Solent University is located in one of the South Coast's most vibrant and exciting cities. London is only a little over an hour away, and local ferry terminals make access to Europe easy and affordable.
- Travel - Southampton airport offers flights to various destinations in Europe. Heathrow and Gatwick, the two biggest airports in the UK, can both be reached in less than two hours by car or train, and Southampton is home to a large cross country train station.
- Support - All students have full access to our range of student support services. This includes access to career advisors, study skills support, specialist international advisors, and counselling.
- Facilities - £70 million is being invested into the Southampton Solent University campus between 2008 and 2018.
- Graduate employment - Our graduates can be found working in many of the worlds leading organisations, from journalists and computer programmers to yacht designers and engineers.
- Linked with the industry - All of our courses give students the opportunity to take on work experience and be involved with live client projects.
- Accredited courses - Many of our courses have been accredited by professional bodies. This means that industry employers recognise the high quality of the graduates that we produce.
Southampton Solent University is split into six distinct Schools. Which school you belong to depends on which course you choose to study here.
School of Art, Design and Fashion
School of Business and Law
School of Communications and Marketing
School of Media Arts and Technology
School of Sport, Health and Social Sciences
School of Maritime Science and Engineering
Southampton Solent University is located right in the heart of Southampton's city centre. Surrounded by lush green parks, the main campus is only a few minutes walk away from many of the areas top shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues.
Find out more about living in Southampton and how to find us by following the links.
Recording studios, performance spaces and a specialist sports laboratory are just some of the areas that have been transformed by recent investment.
Other facilities include a purpose-built watersports centre, industry-standard multi-camera TV studios, a commercially equipped towing tank, animation and specialist 3D multimedia areas, hydrographic survey systems, professional photography facilities and much more.
Find out more about our facilities.
The social life
With so much to see, explore and do in Southampton, you won't have any trouble finding things to do during your down time.
A lot of the social activity at Solent is centred around the Students' Union, an organisation run by, and representing the interests of, Solent students. To find out more about the Students' Union be sure to visit their website.
The city is very student oriented, with more than 30,000 students studying at its two universities. Fortunately, this means that there is a great selection of restaurants, cinemas, theatres, clubs and pubs available within walking distance of the student residences and the main campus.
The impressive West Quay shopping centre should accommodate all your shopping needs - when it was first built it was the largest shopping centre in Europe. The city also boasts two other malls and is home to a wide variety of independent and specialist shops.
Sport and leisure activities are also available, with Premiership football, county and international test match cricket, and major yacht and powerboat events all being hosted locally. Numerous leisure centres are located around the city, including a large swimming complex where our students enjoy privileged admission rates.
History of the University and Southampton
Before becoming Southampton Solent University in 2005, the University was known as Southampton Institute of Higher Education. Since then, Solent has seen many exciting changes.
Find out more about the University's history and the history of Southampton.