How to apply
Applications may be submitted at any point during the year.
You can apply to study for an MPhil or PhD at Southampton Solent University in a wide range of research areas. To apply you will be required to submit the following:
- A completed and signed application form
- Two suitable references
- A brief research proposal (approximately 1000 words)
- Evidence of English language proficiency (if applicable)
- Qualification transcripts/certificates (scanned copies are suitable, but if accepted you will be required to present the originals at registration)
- Photograph ID page of your passport
- Employer guarantee form or confirmation of funding letter if you are sponsored.
Research proposal: You will need to include the following:
- The subject you wish to research
- Why it is of interest to you
- How you propose to carry out your research
- How your proposed project relates to other work in the field
- How you think your project might contribute to further understanding of your subject.
References: You will need to send your two referees the postgraduate research reference form, for them to complete and return to Academic Services in a signed and sealed envelope.
Evidence of English language proficiency: Any student for whom English is not a first language will have either achieved an overall International English Language Testing Score (IELTS) score of 6.5, with minimum sub-score of 6.0 in writing, or an overall TOEFL score of 92 (internet-based), or have studied a first degree or higher degree in English. These requirements are different from the ones you must achieve for visa purposes.
Applications should be made by using the following documents:
Please email these completed documents as well as any other appropriate supporting evidence (see above) to email@example.com or print them out and send to:
Postgraduate Research Administrator
Southampton Solent University
East Park Terrace
Prospective applicants are invited to make contact with the relevant Faculty Director of Postgraduate Research Students to discuss their proposed application in more detail. Their contact details are listed below:
Faculty of Business Sport and Enterprise
Professor David Watkins
Faculty of the Creative Industries and Society
Professor Maurice Owen
Maritime and Technology Faculty
Anthony Gallagher, Associate Professor
What happens next
Once all your documents are received in Academic Services, they will be forwarded to the appropriate Faculty Scrutiny Panel who will assess your application based on the following:
- The proposed area of study is capable of leading to scholarly research and to its presentation for assessment at a viva examination
- There is the appropriate expert supervision and capacity currently available within the University
- The suitability of your qualifications and/or experience
- There are appropriate resources in place at the University.
You can expect to hear the outcome of your application normally within eight weeks from submitting your application.
For further information on submitting an application, please contact the postgraduate administrator.