Solent Surveyor, our 10m research catamaran, gives our geography students a valuable platform for sample collection or oceanographic and hydrographic surveys, helping to build essential practical skills. Students on yacht engineering degrees also have access to the vessel for surveying training and experience.
Survey vessel overview
- L.O.A: 9.95m
- Beam: 4.5m
- Max speed: 18 knots
- Cruising speed: 14-16 knots
- Draught: 1m
- Disp: 8.5 tonnes
- Max capacity: 14 passengers + two crew
- Generator: 4.5KvA 240volt
- Range: 160 miles (approx.) - up to 20 miles from safe haven.
Students can carry out hydrographic and oceanographic surveys, as well as navigation training.
- Seatronics Bathy-500MF multi-frequency survey echo sounder
- Ohmex TidaLite tide gauge
- HYPACK Hydrographic Survey Software
- CMAX 2 digital sidescan sonar
- Trimble MS750 RTK GPS system
- Simrad HS-50 Differential GPS.
- Valeport CTD
- YSI environmental multi-meter
- Alec current meter Valeport CTD/current/turbidity autonomous logging package
- ‘A’ frame 250kg max.
- Van Veen grab
- Day grab and plankton nets.
- Two full-size chart tables, seating for eight
- Four networked E-series Raymarine monitors running 'Navionics Platinum' chart software, with integrated radar and dual frequency depth sounder
- Independent Tridata speed/depth/wind instrumentation
- Simrad directional GPS with Pelorus
- Night navigation capability
- Other: heads, galley with kettle and microwave.