Thursday 30 November 2017
The end of the first semester is almost in sight, so it’s time to start getting festive. We’ve got some top tips for a student budget-friendly Christmas.
Keep an eye out for the advent calendar in the Solent University Student Hub, which will reveal even more top tips every day.
- You don’t need to plan the ‘perfect Christmas’. It’s only one day out of 365! Be like Santa, make a list, check it twice, and stick to it.
- The holidays are about being with others, not material goods. Don’t feel alone. Speak to our Wellbeing Team or get in touch with the Samaritans.
- Going home for Christmas? Book your train tickets early to save money and use the TicketySplit online tool to see if you can get your rail fare cheaper. You might also be eligible for a young person’s rail card.
- If you can’t make it back home this year, don’t worry, you can still talk to family and friends for free. Money Saving Expert recommends these apps.
- Secret Santa is a great way of saving money. Get your friends or family to agree to each buy one present for £10 (or less!) – you all get something but will save loads.
- Found the perfect jumper? Sell items you no longer want to boost your budget for Christmas shopping.
- It’s been said lots of times before, but consider handmade gifts. If you’re arty you could create an original piece of work for those you love. Or, you can offer your services as a babysitter, gardener, cook – basically anything that doesn’t actually cost anything other than a few hours of your time.
- Loads of leftovers? Don’t chuck it out – there are loads of ideas for cooking with leftovers and tips on how to store it safely so you don’t start the New Year hugging the toilet…
- Do your food shopping online. Not only will you beat the crowds but you’ll be less tempted by offers and impulse buys.
- And finally, relax and have fun! You’ve worked very hard during your first semester. So rest up, and get ready for round two in January.