Wednesday 23 May 2018
The world of Global PR with Eva Maclaine
This week in the guest speaker series we heard from Eva Maclaine. Eva is a fellow of the CIPR, founder of Maclaine Communications, and is highly experienced in strategic communication.
It was a privilege to hear about Eva’s experience and advice in the complexities of global PR. She had many insightful tips about working with different cultures and some of the pitfalls of global PR.
Top 5 things to take away:
1. The introduction of ‘ROSIE’- This is an acronym for strategic planning:
2. Research is vital in Global PR - research the culture and the customs before you work in another country.
3. Learn a language - the best way to get over a language barrier is learn the language and subsequently understand more about the culture you are working in.
As Nelson Mandela once said:
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language that goes to his heart.”
4. Ethics are important - when working in PR it is highly likely that you will encounter an ethical dilemma at some point. However, it is more likely when working with different cultures because of different interpretations and differences of opinion. Therefore, you have to bare this in mind when working in Global PR.
5. Be understanding - different countries have different greetings. It is important for individuals who want to work in Global PR to understand that sometimes a handshake isn’t always the first point of call when greeting someone.
Find out more about Eva Maclaine
Follow Eva Maclaine on Twitter