Friday 13 May 2016
Team Solent's most successful year yet
Southampton Solent University’s sports teams came together to celebrate their most successful year yet at an awards ceremony on Tuesday (10 May).
The annual sports awards, held at the O2 Guildhall Southampton and organised by Solent Sport and the University, recognised teams and individuals who have enhanced Team Solent’s name in local, national and international sporting circles.
BBC’s Tony Husband presented the awards, and he was joined on stage by guest speaker and England Women’s Cricket captain Charlotte Edwards.
“It has been another outstanding season for Team Solent and each and every one of our athletes has made this happen,” says Phil Green, Associate Professor and Director of Solent Sport.
“Team and individual highlights are numerous and include; our men’s basketball and men’s cricket teams playing at the highest level of BUCS sport, our men’s football team becoming established in FA Step 5 and also retaining the Southampton FA Cup, and three other teams winning BUCS leagues (women’s basketball, men’s badminton and men’s hockey), as well our men’s table-tennis team winning the Conference Cup.
“Individually we can boast a World Student Games multi-medallist and Hampshire female sports person of the year - Kelly Simm, two gold medallists at the BUCS individual championships (boxer Sophie Baker and triple-jumper Lia Stephenson) and many other individual highlights.
“Some of our Southampton Talented Athlete Scheme athletes have also achieved considerable success in their chosen fields, and we have also seen some of our alumni in the sporting headlines throughout the year. As well as players and teams, this evening also celebrated the successes and achievements of coaches, administrators and volunteers.”
Tony Husband who regularly presents on BBC South Today and has compèred the sports awards for the last three years said: “The Solent Sports Awards are one of the highlights of the year, I was thrilled to return to celebrate another 12 months of success. The performances of sports men and women at Solent never ceases to impress me and it’s great to see sport playing such a big role in their career and life development.”
The guest of honour for this year’s awards was Charlotte Edwards, captain of the England women’s cricket team and Southern Vipers batter. The renowned female cricketer said: “It is excellent news that Southampton Solent University is now specifically targeting the development of women’s sport. It is focussed efforts such as this which will continue to improve and increase opportunities for women and girls in sport, which is something that I wholeheartedly support.”
Professor Graham Baldwin, Vice Chancellor of Southampton Solent University, added: “Sport at Solent has a national reputation and we are known for being an innovative and dynamic provider. What we do is truly worth celebrating.”
The 2016 Solent Sports Awards winners are:
- Pharmanutricals Sports Man of the Year Outstanding individual performances over the 2015-2016 sporting year - JESSE WALLER-LASSEN (Team Solent Football Men)
- Pharmanutricals Sports Woman of the Year Outstanding individual performances over the 2015-2016 sporting year – LIA STEPHENSON (Solent Sport High Performance Academy HPA triple jumper)
- Coliseum Coaches Male Newcomer of the Year first year student who has shown in their specific club outstanding performances – DANNY RICKS (Team Solent Men’s Table Tennis)
- Coliseum Coaches Female Newcomer of the Year first year student who has shown in their specific club outstanding performances – SOPHIE BAKER (Team Solent Boxing and Solent Sport High Performance Academy athlete)
- Wooden Spoon Male Contribution of the Year Has shown outstanding commitment and contribution to the development of their specific sports club over a sustained period of two years or more – FRED NOTMAN (Team Solent Men’s Hockey)
- Rainha Fightwear Female Contribution of the Year Has shown outstanding commitment and contribution to the development of their specific sports club over a sustained period of two years or more – MELANIE SAUNDERS (Team Solent Women’s Football)
- Perform Better Club of the Year On and off the sporting pitch/court, the club who has provided the more efficient and effective development and organisation – TEAM SOLENT SUB-AQUA
- Wellingtons Signs & Designs Team of the Year (BUCS League) Best performance within the BUCS Leagues – TEAM SOLENT BASKETBALL (MENS)
- Core Health & Fitness Team of the Year (BUCS Cups) Best performance within the BUCS knockout Cup competitions – TABLE TENNIS
- Matchtech Team of the Year (Local Leagues/cups) Best performance with the local league leagues and cups - TEAM SOLENT FOOTBALL (MENS)
- Canon Coach of the Year The Team Solent coach who has shown outstanding commitment and dedication to the development of the club and its members – JAMES TAYLOR (Team Solent Men’s Football)
- SUCCEEDin Solent Sport Community Development Award The student who has shown outstanding work and commitment to Sports Development initiatives with Solent Sport – MATT ELLERBY
- Sunsail Rising Star of the Year Young athlete (12-18 years old) who achieved outstanding individual performances over the 2015-2016 sporting year - ZAKARIYA MOHAMMED (Southampton Talented Athlete Scheme)
- Southampton Football Club Outstanding Sporting Achievement – (Individual) Individual who achieved an outstanding performance at a recognised event in 2015-2016 - KELLY SIMM (High Performance Academy – HPA)
- The Student Housing Company Outstanding Sporting Achievement (Team) Team who achieved an outstanding performance at a recognised event in 2015-2016 – TEAM SOLENT FOOTBALL (MENS)
More information on the winners is available. Please contact the news team.
View the photo album on Facebook
Photos courtesy of Barisua Bobby Feyii