The 2017 Research and Innovation Conference offers students and academics the chance to present or propose sessions in a number of different formats:
- Two minute dissertation (undergraduate (UG) and masters (PGT) students only)
- Three minute thesis® (MPhil and PhD (PGR) students only)
- Three minute pitch to the Solent Dragons
- Active demonstrations
- Conference posters
- Oral papers
- PechaKucha (20 slides, 20 seconds per slide)
Student proposals are welcomed in all formats. The two minute dissertation and three minute thesis formats are available only to students.
Student contributions are eligible for prizes in all formats except active demonstration and workshops. All participants (academics and students) in the Solent Dragons task are eligible for competition prizes.
Competition rules and criteria can be downloaded here.
Further details on all of the conference formats can be downloaded here. Support sessions for SSU students and staff presenting at the conference are available. The sessions can be booked from the Portal events calendar.
- 25 January - Confidence in public speaking 1: presentation formats and techniques
- 2 February - Confidence in public speaking 2: short format presentations & time-keeping
- 13 February - Confidence in public speaking 3: using audio/visual aids in presentations
- 14 February - Planning and designing conference poster presentations 1
- 21 March - Planning and designing conference poster presentations 2
- TBC - PechaKucha workshop
Confidence in public speaking sessions may be repeated in March/April if there is sufficient demand.
If you wish to propose a session of linked presentations on a sub-theme related to ‘Making an Impact’, please indicate on the application forms the presenter(s) of all linked presentations and the sub-theme you wish to have considered.
A linked series of presentations need not be of all the same format - mixed format session proposals are welcome. Please note that while every effort will be made to accommodate linked proposals, we cannot guarantee every linked proposal will be accepted in that format and reserve the right to split these between sessions where necessary to the organisation of the day.
All conference contributors must apply using the official application form, which is available for download below. Please return the completed form to email@example.com.
All contributors will also need to register for the conference using the online booking system.
Download an application form
Back to top
|22 November 2016
||Presentation applications open.
|27 February 2017
||Presentation applications close.
|13 March 2017
||Applicants will have heard back from the conference team by this date.
|10 April 2017
||Deadline for poster submissions.
|24 April 2017
||Deadline for submitting presentation slides.