Pass it on
International artists in residence exhibition
3 September – 8 October 2016
Private View: 2 September 2016, 6pm – 8pm
The Graduate Artists in Residence Scheme at Showcase Gallery has been running for five years, with more than 100 applicants and over 20 residencies awarded, the aim is to ease the artists’ transition from academic to professional life.
For the first four years the opportunity was open to final year students from all the creative courses at Southampton Solent University. This year the scheme has been developed in partnership with TNCE-Trans-National Creative Exchange, a project led by Southampton Solent University, School of Art Design and Fashion – Co-funded by the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.
The scheme brings together international partners including: Solent Showcase Gallery, CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, CIT Wandesford Quay Gallery, The Hague University of Applied Sciences, Rencontres Audiovisuelles and China Academy of Art/Shanghai Institute of Design. Graduates from China, France, Ireland, the Netherlands and UK have been invited to apply for the two months summer residency.
A small grant and access to studio space throughout the summer were offered to the successful applicants in order to produce work for an exhibition – Pass It On – the artists thus benefitting from a real-life professional experience with a contemporary gallery. For the next following months the artwork will travel around the globe and be exhibited in all the TNCE partner countries.
The selected 10 artists are:
- Kate Aries – Southampton Solent University, UK
- Liang Chaoyu - China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design - China
- Sam Hiscock - Southampton Solent University, UK
- Áine Kelly - CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Ireland
- Charlotte Landry - Rencontres Audiovisuelles, France
- Hélène Nivesse - Rencontres Audiovisuelles, France
- Gerard O’Callaghan - CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Ireland
- Danique Valstar - De Haagse Hogeschool – the Netherlands
- Amy Wright - Southampton Solent University, UK
- Que Xueyin - China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design – China
The title of the show is inspired by the unstoppable modern interchange of ideas between artists around the globe, reflecting the benefits of collaboration and art’s intrinsic power to keep pushing world forward. But the purpose is not the distance, the purpose is the movement, the seeking, the finding and the growing.
Back to top