The Solent Learning and Teaching Institute (SLTI) supports the University in providing excellent and engaging learning opportunities.
By integrating theory and practice through the delivery of innovative, inclusive and intellectually stimulating teaching, we develop self-confident and highly employable graduates who have maximised their educational potential.
We are here to:
- Develop and support academic staff to be great teachers who are reflective, innovative and caring in delivering intellectually stimulating learning opportunities.
- Lead developments in technology enhanced learning that are engaging, fit for purpose, cutting edge and provide alternative delivery options.
- Create rich learning support for our diverse student body, ensuring smooth transition into higher education and helping students maximise their educational potential.
- Support enhancement and innovation in curriculum development to bridge theory and practice that support inclusivity and internationalisation.
- Support and deliver learning and teaching projects that enhance our KPIs (eg, National Student Survey and Solent Unit Evaluation results).
- Create and support an institutional framework that establishes research informed teaching in all its forms.
- Drive the learning, teaching and student achievement sub-strategy in collaboration with the academic schools and other professional services, for the University to achieve its relevant strategic objectives and perform well in the impending Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
As a new team we look forward to working with learning and teaching communities across the six schools to build an excellent university, with an outstanding reputation in learning and teaching.
The Solent Learning and Teaching Community Conference (SLTCC) 2016
SSU staff: register now for your free place at SLTCC 2016. Booking is open to all SSU staff with an interest in learning and teaching, and to colleagues from neighbouring south coast universities who are presenting at the University.
SLTCC 2016 promotes excellence in learning and teaching, connecting staff and students by providing a forum for exploring innovative opportunities and sharing experience and best practice. This year the conference is focusing on building an excellent university by delivering world-class learning and teaching within innovative social, physical and virtual environments.
Find out more about this year's conference
Learning technologies (LT) is a team of highly skilled and energetic personnel dedicated to further developing Southampton Solent University's technology enhanced learning provision.
As part of SLTI they are integral to the development of classroom technology, as well as running the University’s online learning and teaching support systems including Portal, Solent Online Learning and Mahara.
The LT Team take care of the Portal, the virtual learning environment (Solent Online Learning), and lots of other systems that integrate with these to make sure the Solent teaching and learning community get the information they need.
The academic development team is both staff and student facing. As well as working with students to develop learning skills through the Succeed@Solent programme, they support teachers and facilitators to progress their continuous professional development in individually relevant ways. Ongoing CPD opportunities include Peer Practice Exchange, as well as support to gain HEA Fellowship and relevant HE teaching qualifications.
Find out more about professional development
Research informed teaching
The research informed teaching team within the SLTI is currently being recruited. They will be led by the Professor of Research Informed Teaching and supported by two post-doctoral researchers in learning and teaching.
The team will support our learning and teaching community not only to deliver excellence but also actively engage in pedagogic research and involve students as partners in their subject specific research.
The team will make sure the great learning and teaching that takes place in our classrooms is shared across the national and international sectors, building an outstanding reputation in learning and teaching excellence.
Meet the team
Staff from all around the University are involved in the Solent Learning and Teaching Institute, bringing together a range of different skills and expertise for the benefit of students.
Meet the team
Back to top