This online course is aimed at those who need to either renew their existing or apply for a commercial endorsement to their qualifications for the first time.
In the commercial world you're a professional seafarer whether you're delivering a new 35’ yacht, driving a workboat with lifting and towing gear, or running a superyacht, no matter what your job is on board. As such, you're no different from the captain of a cruise liner – you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you'll be held to account if things go wrong.
The course is broken down into four modules:
- Commercial environment - how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date, and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you're carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
You're able to work through the modules at your own speed (we estimate that it takes around six to eight hours) and take a mock assessment to make sure you're ready to move on to the final graded online assessment. The graded assessment is split into two sections totalling two-and-a-half hours. You'll have remote access to an instructor who will be on hand to help if you have any queries during the online course
You can take this course any time prior to your commercial endorsement application or renewal. Your PPR certificate will be valid either for your first commercial endorsement application or your next renewal.
If you hold an MCA deck officer OOW certificate of competency, Master 200*, or Master 500 or above you do not need to take the PPR course. Just send a copy of your MCA certificate to the RYA with your application or renewal form for your commercial endorsement.
* Please note: Master 200 refers to the MCA Master 200GT STCW qualification, not the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster qualification.
Updating your PPR certificate
Once you've taken your first PPR course, at subsequent renewals of your commercial endorsement you'll need to take a reduced version of the course and a short test to ensure you're still up to speed with the subject. Note: If you're over 65 and subject to more regular medical fitness examinations, you don't need to take the PPR course each time you renew your medical. You'll need to take it when your commercial endorsement is due for renewal (normally every five years).
Book your place
Once your booking has been received we'll set you up on the course and you'll receive a username and password for the RYA interactive site by email within one working day. If you don't receive it within this time, please contact us.
Telephone: 023 8201 4298
Back to top