Do you dream of working on productions on both the big and small screen? Southampton Solent’s one-year film and television top-up degree programme will help you build on your existing skills and qualifications to gain a full honours degree.
You’ll be encouraged to produce informed and imaginative written and practical work to equip you with a wide range of skills essential for a career in the film and television industry.
- Teaching is delivered by an academic team who are experts in their fields, including screenwriting, producing and directing.
- Students have access to industry-standard film and television facilities at our media academy.
- Past students have benefitted from live project and work experience opportunities through both our in-house creative agency Solent Creatives agency and our strong industry ties.
- Students on the film and television top-up programme can have the opportunity to build on their experience with our student-run online TV channel, Solent TV.
- Solent’s cross-disciplinary collaborative culture helps students on related courses work together on exciting shared projects.
- The Solent campus boasts a range of high-tech facilities, from our media centre and broadcasting space to our industry-standard make-up and hair design studios.
The UK film industry continues to go from strength to strength, with the number of companies involved in filmed media growing by 32% since 2009. As online video content becomes more and more popular, video production skills like those taught on this course have become increasingly sought after.
The film and television top-up programme has a strong focus on employability and aims to prepare students for a career in television, film and other creative industries when they graduate. Past graduates have secured roles at national and international companies such as the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky, Warner Bros, Fox London and Talkback Thames.
Working in broadcast-standard HD digital television studios, students have the opportunity to make short fictional and documentary films to gain substantial experience of moving image production.
Alongside the production units, the course covers critical theory, which encourages students to become critical thinkers and creative practitioners, helping them to inform and develop their work.
Studies are supported by a guest speaker programme, and past students have enjoyed talks from high-profile guest speakers including Oscar and BAFTA award-winning directors, producers, actors, editors and cinematographers.
To aid study, students have free access to the University’s multi-million-pound media academy which boasts industry standard production and post production facilities, including state of the art HD studios with green screen. Solent’s media academy also offers a comprehensive media loans scheme, giving students free access to a range of modern film-making equipment including high-definition video cameras and DSLR full-frame cameras. Students are also able to access a wide range of top-quality lenses and lighting kits.
The course academic team is made up of highly experienced industry professionals with backgrounds in film-making, editing, cinematography, and television production and editing. The team also has strong links with the industry and encourage students to seek work placements to build essential hands-on experience.
Students previously studying on the film and television top-up programme have had the opportunity to get involved with outside broadcasting and filming opportunities through the University, at events such as Glastonbury Festival and Cowes Week. Solent’s creative agency, Solent Creatives, and media agency, Solent Productions, also provide opportunities to work with external clients on live briefs.
Think a career in film and television is for you? With strong industry links and state-of-the-art facilities, Southampton Solent’s film and television top-up degree is the perfect way to build upon your existing skills and qualifications and begin your career in this exciting industry.