Do you want to apply your marketing and business skills to the fashion industry? Are you fascinated to learn how fashion products are developed and branded? Southampton Solent University's fashion management programme will help to equip you with the strategic marketing skills and fashion industry awareness required to pursue a commercial career.
You’ll study the complete range of professional disciplines within fashion, from retailing, store management and operations to consumer behaviour, fashion buying and merchandising. You'll also have opportunities to gain practical, hands-on experience, leaving you well-prepared for a range of graduate roles.
- In previous years, students have had the option of a one-year work-placement. Recent students have worked at prestigious companies including Hugo Boss, Harvey Nichols, Stella McCartney and Calvin Klein.
- Students have the opportunity to gain retail management experience through our student-managed high-street fashion store, Re:So, and through our in-house creative agency, Solent Creatives.
- The curriculum is built around practical insights into the fashion industry. Past students have benefitted from working on live projects, going on site visits, listening to prestigious guest speakers and taking on work placements.
- Students will be supported to organise their own fashion conferences and events.
- Solent’s collaborative culture encourages students to work on shared projects with students from other creative courses including fashion design, hair and make-up, photography, film, tv and music.
- The University’s close proximity to London ensures that students can attend industry events like London Fashion Week and Graduate Fashion Week.
- Teaching is delivered by a supportive academic team with extensive industry experience.
The UK fashion industry contributes £26bn to the UK economy, up from £21bn in 2009, representing an increase of 22% in nominal terms (British Fashion Council). The fashion industry is estimated to support almost 800,000 jobs and is the largest employer of all the UK's creative industries.
As fashion brands, online magazines and the fashion PR industry as a whole continues to grow, this course will help equip you with the skills you’ll need to apply for graduate positions in a range of different businesses.
This innovative course teaches students a diverse range of skills required for fashion management, enabling them to gain a deeper understanding of marketing principles, finance, business, communications and the retail environment, as well as strategies used to promote events, designers and collections.
The course places a strong emphasis on gaining practical skills and work experience. Past students have had the opportunity to set up their own business at our stunning student-run store, Re:So, which sells a unique mix of fashion, accessories, publications, furniture and art. The store’s upper floor ‘learning zone’ has previously hosted guest speakers from the fashion industry, workshops, photo-shoots and exhibitions – all with an emphasis on developing student retail, enterprise, networking and employability skills.
Students have the opportunity to spend a year on work placement during the course, enabling them to experience first-hand the day-to-day operations of a fashion business. Previous work placements have been at exciting brands including Hugo Boss, Harvey Nichols, Stella McCartney, Calvin Klein and Sweaty Betty.
Students have also had the opportunity to go on site visits - recent trips have included the Fashion and Textile Museum and the T.M.Lewin headquarters.
To assist with degree studies, students have access to our media academy. This area houses Mac suites with the latest Adobe Creative Suite software, as well as digital reprographics rooms for design work.
The course is led by academic teaching staff who have extensive industry experience in branding, buying, merchandising, and marketing for major fashion brands.
Think a career in marketing might be for you? With opportunities to gain practical experience in a dynamic fashion environment, Solent’s fashion management with marketing programme is the ideal way to take your first step into the world of fashion.