Do you dream of seeing your make-up and hair designs on the catwalk, in magazines or on the big screen? Take the first step to making this a reality by studying on Southampton Solent University’s highly regarded make-up and hair design degree.
You’ll study the different disciplines for the variety of exciting industries from fashion, beauty, television and film. You’ll also have the opportunity to study units in prosthetics, hair design, wig work or beauty direction and develop your own professional website leaving you well-prepared to apply for graduate positions in a range of roles.
- Southampton Solent University was voted as one of the UK’s top creative universities in the Which? University 2013 and 2014 student surveys.
- Students have access to our multi-million-pound media academy which houses dedicated make-up and hair design and photography studios.
- The course has strong industry links, with past students enjoying high-profile guest speakers - previous speakers have included Illamasqua who have also contributed to the course by providing competitions and unique opportunities for Solent students.
- Students studying on the make-up and hair design degree have had opportunities to work on live fashion events, local and national theatre productions, and a range of TV and film projects.
- Solent’s collaborative culture encourages students to work on exciting shared projects with students from other fashion design, hair and make-up courses as well other creative courses such as photography, film, television and music.
- Southampton’s close proximity to London has allowed previous students to travel to prestigious industry events, such as London Fashion Week and Graduate Fashion Week.
- Our in-house creative agency, Solent Creatives, can also provide opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience and work on live client briefs.
The fashion industry is a fast paced, exciting and rapidly expanding market both in the UK and internationally, with huge potential for graduate employment.
The UK fashion industry contributes £26bn to the UK economy, up from £21bn in 2009, representing an increase of 22% in nominal terms, according to data from Oxford Economics, published by the British Fashion Council. The fashion industry is estimated to support almost 800,000 jobs and is the largest employer of all the UK's creative industries.
Solent’s make-up and hair design degree aims to prepare graduates with the necessary skills to take advantage of the employment opportunities within the styling, make-up and hair design industries.
Voted as one of the top creative universities in the UK in the Which? University 2013 and 2014 students, Solent is the ideal place for students to develop their creative ideas.
On this highly creative course students are encouraged to develop their creativity and expand their technical and design skills in our industry-standard make-up and hair design studios, which also have a photography studio to capture their work. To support this and further increase their skills, students also have access to image editing facilities in our Mac suites, using the latest Adobe Creative Suite software.
The course places a strong emphasis on developing industry-ready graduates and students are encouraged to apply for work placements to gain hands-on experience. Previous students have had placements at Company magazine, ITV, Trendstop, Illamasqua, Topshop and the BBC.
In previous years students have also had opportunities to work collaboratively with students from other courses across the School of Art, Design and Fashion on client focused projects. Projects have included live fashion events and working on the Solent fashion brochure Anon.
Learning is aided by a programme of guest lectures and a number of high-profile guest speakers have presented to students, providing valuable industry insight into make-up application and innovation, beauty journalism and make-up for special effects. Previous experts who have given input to the course have included Illamsqua and Alex Box, who was awarded an honorary degree by Solent University.
Our magazine, Anon, showcases the best examples of our fashion students. You can access them by clicking the images below: