We have strong links with the national and international music industries, including membership of UK Music’s Academic Partnership and an Educational Associateship with the Music Managers Forum. As a Music Management student you will also benefit from a programme of high-profile guest lecturers. Past speakers include:
- Marcus Russell (manager of Oasis and Noel Gallagher)
- Cerne Canning (manager of The Vaccines and Franz Ferdinand)
- Colin Lester (manager of Craig David and Arctic Monkeys)
- Nick Halkes (Incentive Records and Management)
- Andy Copping (vice president of Live Nation UK)
- James McMahon (editor of Kerrang!)
- Kate Head (PR for Taylor Swift, Tinchy Stryder and many others)
- Rob Da Bank (Radio 1, Bestival)
- Amanda Maxwell (Boiler Room)
- Jon Davies (Shazam)
- Joel De’Ath (Sony Music)
- Charley Bezer (Head of PR, Live Nation)
- Murray Curnow (Wildlife Management - Arctic Monkeys, Royal Blood)
- Dani Sawyerr (Universal Music Publishing).
Our involvement with the world of music festivals stretches back almost ten years through our work at Glastonbury festival, where we are one of the major broadcast media producers – giving students the opportunity for a range of professional and practical opportunities to build experience in a range of festival roles.
We currently have an exclusive and unique academic partnership with both Bestival and Camp Bestival, as well as great relationships with a number of other local and national festival and live event promoters.
There are also opportunities to work on artist management and development, record company style projects, live events, club nights and more through our in-house Solent Music initiative.
The University itself is proactive in bringing music to a wider audience and in previous years, music management students have been involved in Solent University’s annual city-wide music festival, SMILEfest, working in a variety of roles planning, supporting, contributing and promoting the event and the performers. The festival has seen guest such as music managers Cerne Canning (Franz Ferdinand and The Vaccines), Colin Lester (Craig David) and Marcus Russell (Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds); alongside guests from all areas of the music industry.