A purpose-built lab for testing of various construction materials using state-of-the-art equipment.
About the construction materials lab
In this specialist lab, students can conduct compression and flexural tests, and scratch and impact resistance tests. Additionally, environmental tests including sound levels, light levels, humidity and temperature testing, air conditioning, noise dampening and air flow tests can be carried out.
The lab has compression and flexural frames for testing concrete and timber samples. Concrete samples are prepared in the lab and can include plain or reinforced concrete, various fibre reinforcement, and self levelling concrete using super plasticisers. Students can also test lightweight concrete with greater insulating properties. Ultrasonic concrete testing equipment can be used as appropriate. Custom moulds and mixes can be developed in conjunction with students, depending on their research requirements.
Surface testing facilities are flexible and can test samples of almost any material. Students can test surface hardness, roughness, scratch resistance and impact resistance. The environmental measurement equipment incudes the testing of temperature, humidity, light levels, sound levels, and air flow. Additionally, the lab has thermocouples, a venturimeter and thermal imaging cameras.
Students study an introductory unit on materials testing and are able to move forward with dissertation projects researching materials and/or testing methodology.
- Concrete testing: Compression frame
- Concrete testing: Flexural frame
- Concrete testing: Cement mixer
- Concrete testing: Curing tank
- Concrete testing: Large materials scales
- Concrete testing: Sample scales
- Concrete testing: Pundit hardness testing
- Concrete testing: Ultrasonic testing equipment
- Concrete testing: Cube and lintel moulds
- Surface testing: Scratch test machine
- Surface testing: Surface roughness test
- Surface testing: Drop test equipment
- Environmental: Air conditioning unit
- Environmental: Venturimeter
- Environmental: Themocouples
- Environmental: Data logger
- Environmental: Digital environmental meter
- Environmental: Thermal imaging cameras
- Environmental: Light level meter
- Environmental: Lighting rig
- Environmental: Sound level meter
- Environmental: Hygrometers
Courses that use this facility
- HNC Civil Engineering
- HNC Quantity Surveying
- HNC Architectural Technology
- BA (Hons) Architectural Design and Technology
- HNC Construction Management
- null Construction and the built environment apprenticeships
- MSc Superyacht Design