The lab contains a six-bed acute ward, plus bathroom, kitchen, waiting room and three community care rooms.
About the nursing lab
This six-bed simulated nursing ward, bathroom and kitchen reflects acute patient care in a clinical environment. In addition, our community facility includes a waiting room, GP consultation room, treatment room and care home room.
The nursing lab has been built to a bespoke design following consultation with nurses, lecturers and service users. A full time technician is employed to manage the resources and ensure the smooth running of the lab. Our facilities are risk assessed and reviewed regularly for maintenance and improvement.
Student nurses have access to modern equipment enabling them to practise their skills at their own pace without any risk to patients. Our experienced nursing team facilitate the development of clinical skills using demonstration, recording and reflection. Students attend the nursing lab in uniform in order to simulate nursing workplaces and expectations. As their knowledge advances they are able to participate in complex scenarios which are captured on CCTV and later analysed.
The nursing lab is also used as a classroom so that theory can be linked with practice, using large screen monitors and iPads. The nursing skills lab is open for demonstrations during University open days and recruitment events.
- Six electric beds.
- Hoist and walking aids.
- Flowtron boots.
- Dinamap vital signs monitors to record patients' blood pressure, temperature, heart rate and oxygen saturation levels
- Defibrillator and AED located on an emergency/crash trolley with drawers supplied with emergency items for airway, breathing, circulation and disabled patients.
- Intravenous pumps and syringe drivers.
- Electrocardiograph machine to monitor the patient’s heart rhythm and any irregularities.
- Computer software, including: large screen. iPads and CCTV continuous monitoring.
- Telephone link to the ward nurses’ observation station computer and to the GP consultation room.
- Cannulation and venesection arms with simulated blood.
- Injection pads to practice intra-muscular injection technique.
- High fidelity Nursing Anne simulator that can make basic verbal noises, breathe - with chest movement, palpate pulses, blink, practice catheterisation or nasogastric tube insertion technique.
- Basic life support.
- Corman (adult transparent upper torso to practice nasogastric insertion).
- Manual sphygmomanometers and stethoscopes.
- Drug trolley, CD cupboard and medical notes trolley.
- Patient nurse call/buzzer system.
- Hand hygiene/glow box for handwashing technique.
Courses that use this facility
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing Practice
- FdSc Health and Social Care (Nursing Associate) Apprenticeship
- Level 6 Registered Nurse (Degree) Apprenticeship
This facility is available to hire
Hire of Solent's nursing laboratories can be arranged, subject to discussion and availability.Find out more about external hire