Our OB vehicle is a custom-built 3.5T Renault Low Loader. Vision facilities include a 2M/E Blackmagic vision mixer, up to seven fully controllable HD multi-camera capability using three Ikegami System Cameras and four Sony PMWs, as well as video feeds from extra roaming cameras, VTs and graphics. The van can also provide iso recording of each camera and has many Tailboard connections to allow signals in and out including multiple M/E feeds, aux feeds and ISO feeds of each camera for separate mixing. The vehicle is equipped with acoustic treatment, Allen & Heath dLive audio mixer, Dante and MADI connectivity and Trilogy Messenger communication system, plus integration with a 10x headset wireless Clear-Com system and optional 4-wire routing.
The vehicle has a 32A power inlet as standard, but we can operate using 16A or 13A. We will always consult you on power requirements. We also have a 5.6kW propane generator to power the whole van when this is not available.
The vehicle is supported by our flyaway systems, which allow multi-camera HD filming/recording of events where using the truck is not practical. These are based around Blackmagic ATEM video mixers, the four Sony PMW cameras plus multiple Panasonic HD cameras, Allen & Heath and Midas audio mixers with multitrack digital recorders. This allows simultaneous filming/recording of up to three different medium-large scale events.
In addition, we have a wide range of other single camera, recording, editing and post-production facilities available within the faculty, including dubbing/ADR suites, surround mixing rooms and tracklaying/edit suites.
Outside broadcasting at the University is delivered as part of our media technology programme, allowing students on our media courses to work in a real outside broadcast environment under the genuine time and quality pressures that this creates. Our OB facilities are available for hire by both internal and external clients, giving students the opportunity to support their learning while gaining valuable hands-on experience by providing services to the wider industry. BBC South regularly use the vehicle, with our students as additional crew.
Our students have covered many major events, such as:
- Multi-camera shoots at Glastonbury, Bestival and Glade music festivals.
- Large-scale rock/pop/dance music events.
- Providing technical facilities for BBC South's outside broadcast of Children in Need.
- Working in conjunction with the University’s School of Media Arts and Technology to produce high definition footage of Dance Stage East/Silver Hayes at Glastonbury Festival for Glastonbury TV.
- Filming and broadcasting live from the country’s largest heritage railway event at Eastleigh Works, including providing technical services for a BBC South broadcast.
- Filming with the BBC for the London 2012 Olympics, including the torch relay and sailing events.
For further information or to hire the outside broadcast vehicle, please contact Specialist Facilities: firstname.lastname@example.org.