A fully-equipped facility allowing deck officers to undertake mandatory efficient deck hand training.
About the seamanship centre
The seamanship centre offers an excellent range of facilities in which students can develop their skills and understanding of practical seamanship to efficient deck hand (EDH) standard. With equipment including mooring stations and pilot ladders, scale models of derricks and hatches, the centre provides an environment for practical and effective learning.
Our seamanship training covers a broad range of practical skills development, including:
- Knots, bends and hitches.
- Splicing of rope and wire.
- Rigging of bosun’s chairs, stages and pilot ladders.
- Mooring and anchoring operations.
- Cargo operations.
The seamanship centre is located at our cadet education centre at St Mary's in Southampton.
- Mooring stations.
- Pilot ladders.
- Scale models of derricks and hatches.