The towing tank is used for testing hydrodynamic lift and drag components for sailing and motor craft, and incorporates a wave motor.
About the Towing tank
Our 60m towing tank is suitable for evaluating hydrodynamic lift and drag components for sailing and motor craft, and incorporates a wave motor. Scale models up to two metres in length and 50kg in weight can be accommodated.
The towing tank has been used to test America’s Cup racing yachts and other craft for industry leaders such as Quantum Dynamics Ltd, Seaspeed Marine Consulting and GKN Aerospace Services.
- 60m in length, 3.7m wide and 1.8m deep.
- Carriage top speed of 4.0m/s.
- Computer-controlled wave generator.
- Test scale models up to 2m in length and 50kg in weight.
- Test wave and tidal renewable energy devices.
- Can be used for instrument calibration.
Courses that use the towing tank
- BEng (Hons) Yacht and Powercraft Design
- BEng (Hons) Yacht Design and Production
- MSc Superyacht Design
- BEng (Hons) Renewable Energy Engineering