Supervisors are active researchers and are expected to be active in terms of their own Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
New supervisors are required to attend the University’s supervisor training provided through the Researcher Development Programme and all supervisors are required to regularly refresh their training and maintain currency on the University’s policies and regulations governing research degrees.
Regulations for doctoral students
Training sessions are run in both the Autumn and Spring on topics including:
- Solent doctoral regulations and operational overview (mandatory)
- Working with doctoral students to assess their training needs (optional)
- The role of the doctoral review panel (optional)
- Research integrity and PGR (mandatory)
- Supervising the PhD by publication (optional)
- Reflective practice for supervisors (optional)
- The role of examiners and independent chairs (optional)
Supervisors are encouraged to join the UKCGE – Postgraduate Research Supervisors Network. This is a national network with links to online videos, blogs, events and other resources for doctoral supervisors.
Supervisors at Solent University have access to a dedicated online support area, and are encouraged to share good practice. This space also hosts training materials and other resources.
Training, support and materials for supervisors
Quick guide for supervisors