To become an international leader in maritime research related to advanced technologies, education, training and policy making for Smart Ships, MASS (Maritime Autonomous Surface Ship), and Smart Ports.
Back to top
- To carry out world class multi-disciplinary research in the field of Smart Ships, MASS and Smart Ports.
- To provide and support a life-long active learning environment to grow the pool of quality maritime academia.
- To provide a global networking platform for academia/researchers to link with industry players and organisations for collaborative learning.
- To build a world-class WMR centre of excellence and help shape the future of maritime education and training.
- To direct research and knowledge exchange activities strategically, assuring academic excellence and significant maritime industrial interaction.
- To emphasise the importance of combining the benefits of growing technology with concerns about safety and security, cost, potential environmental impact, and international commerce facilitation, both onboard and onshore.
- To enable research-based policymaking for autonomous ships and their training concepts through the utilisation of large-scale manned models and simulated ships in controlled test facilities. This includes drafting performance standards, training model courses and operating guidelines for integrating conventional ships, shore-based entities (simulated centres), Smart Ships, MASS and Smart Ports.