Skip to main content

The annual tuition fees for doctoral studies are linked to your mode of study (full- or part-time) and residential status. The University reviews and sets tuition fees annually. Each student is responsible for the payment of their fees. If your fees are paid by a sponsor you will need to submit written proof of this annually in order to be eligible to re-enrol.  

The University also provides information on funding and a training and development allowance. See below for more details.

Find out more about doctoral student fees in the Doctoral Student Handbook and Guidance

Doctoral tuition fees

The table below sets out the 2019/20 annual fees for research degrees:

 UK, EU and Island studentsEEA and overseas students
Annual fee full-time £4,600 £12,875
Annual fee part-time £2,300 £6,438
Writing-up fee full-time* Two-thirds of full-time fee Two-thirds of full-time fee
Writing-up fee part-time* Two-thirds of part-time fee Two-thirds of part-time fee
Six months major amendments fee part-time One-third part-time fee One-third part-time fee
12 months major amendments fee part-time Two-thirds part-time fee Two-thirds part-time fee

* Full-time research students who are ‘writing-up’, prior to the submission of their thesis for examination, may pay an annual writing-up fee for a maximum of one year. Part-time research students may pay an annual writing-up fee for a maximum of two years. Both full and part-time research students will be eligible for a pro rata refund if they submit before the end of the academic year in which they are ‘writing-up’. This writing-up period cannot exceed the maximum registration period of the degree registration.

Find out more about the registration periods for research degrees

If a research student subsequently fails to submit by the end of their ‘writing-up’ period and is eligible to continue their registration within the maximum registration period, they will again become liable for the full annual tuition fee appropriate to their mode of study. If they submit before the end of the academic year they will be eligible to receive a refund as above.

Find out more about tuition fees and how to pay them

For information about writing-up and major amendments fees for UK, EU and Island students and EEA and International students please contact

Funding your research degree

Students may be sponsored or self-funded for their fees and/or living expenses. The University’s Finance pages hold information about various sources of funding for postgraduate studies. 

Paying your fees, postgraduate funding, early payment discounts, alumni discounts and payment forms


The University may, from time to time, advertise funded doctoral degree studentships. Studentships may be fully funded (fees, maintenance stipend, training allowance) or part funded (eg, fees only). Stipends are normally aligned to the RCUK minimum stipend levels and will generally be disbursed on a quarterly basis to students.

Studentships will normally be advertised through or on the Solent website. Studentships may also be advertised through other media as applicable.

Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding

The University also subscribes to the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding. The Guide has information on alternative sources of funding – especially charities – which can make awards (fees, maintenance, research costs) to any student regardless of subject or nationality. The Alternative Guide Online contains a database of funding opportunities, comprehensive guidance, and numerous tools to help you prepare a grant application. Solent has a licence to the Guide, so it is free for all students and staff with a University log in to use. If you are a prospective student who has applied to the University, please email to request a PIN to give you access to this resource.

Training and development support

The University provides support for research, including training in research skills and career development through the Researcher Development Programme (RDP). Access to the programme is free and students are encouraged to make full use of the resources available, both on campus and online, by exploring the information on the RDP on the website and on the Solent Online Learning (SOL) RDP site.

Doctoral student training and development allowance

Doctoral students at Solent University are eligible for an annual training and development allowance up to £500 in each academic financial year (1 August - 31 July). The allowance supports research development activities. These may include payment towards:

  • Attendance fees at conferences, symposia, seminars, exhibitions or other academic events relevant to the research
  • Travel or accommodation expenses
  • Fees for specialist external training in skills relevant to the research
  • Fees for access to specialist external resources not available from the University
  • Other costs not included in your registration fees

The allowance cannot be applied retrospectively and cannot be rolled forward from year to year. Any applications not submitted before 31 July in any year cannot be claimed against the previous year's allowance, nor can allowance from a future year be used for costs in a current year.

Applications for payment towards travel, accommodation or attendance fees should be submitted in advance of events or training. Where possible all registration for events/training, bookings for travel and accommodation should be arranged through the RIE office by contacting by email:, or telephone: 023 8201 3207.

Download the training and development application form RD3TD

The form is also available on request from doctoral student support.

Applications must be supported by supervisory approval that the request is relevant to the student's doctoral studies.

Requests for specialist IT equipment, software or library subscriptions or books are not funded by the doctoral student training and development allowance. Requests for access to specialist equipment can be directed to the ICT service desk. Requests relating to library subscriptions or access to specific volumes should be directed to the library.

Back to top