Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Solent University runs an emergency short term loan scheme, giving students access to emergency cash in the event that they need immediate financial assistance. If your financial problems are more long term, you may want to think of ways to improve your budgeting skills, or apply for a support grant.

Who can apply for an emergency short-term loan?

It is important to remember that we can only lend small amounts for basic living costs. Loans will require you to have taken out your full maintenance loan; and any loan offered is on a pre-paid card, fully repayable and interest free.

  • UK and (some) EU students enrolled on a course at Solent can apply.
  • UK students whose first payment of student funding is significantly delayed can also apply.

How do I apply?

Students must complete an emergency short-term loan application form, which is available from the Student Hub (TS114) or our portal page, or email

You must then see a student funding adviser with your completed form and evidence. They will discuss with you your financial situation and what attempts you have made to resolve it. Then they will assess your situation and decide if a loan is appropriate.

What happens if I can't pay it back?

In the event that a loan cannot be repaid, the debt may be passed to a debt collection agency. Additionally, you may be charged a fine and no further loans will be given to you by the University. You may also not be able to attend your graduation ceremony.

For full eligibility criteria and for more information, please see our portal page, or read this leaflet.

Back to top