Skip to main content

The student funding team here at Solent University provide professional and impartial funding advice to our students. If you are having issues relating to any of the following, please don't hesitate to get in touch:

  • Funding entitlement.
  • Tuition fee and maintenance loans.
  • Grants, bursaries and scholarships.
  • How and when to apply for funding.
  • What forms to complete.
  • Complex funding matters eg, if you leave / change or suspend your course.
  • Claiming estrangement.
  • Debt advice and money management.
  • Delayed funding.
  • Liaising with Student Finance England, and much more.

The student finance team are available on 023 8201 5200 or via email at

You can also visit them in person during term time in the Student Hub (RM050):

  • Monday to Thursday: 10am - 4pm
  • Friday: 10am - 3pm

Please note: times may vary in the event of staff absence and during the holidays.

Need financial advice?

All students who are worried about their financial situation can see a funding adviser during our drop-in times or via an appointment.  You could benefit from this service if you:   

  • borrow money to pay debts,
  • have no idea where your money goes,
  • get letters from collection agencies,
  • skimp on essentials like food to pay your bills,
  • panic every time the post arrives, or
  • regularly have to ask your friends/family to lend you money.

The funding advisers can offer you guidance on how to negotiate with your creditors and what you will need to provide to them.

If you do have to arrange a payment plan with your creditors then your credit rating may be affected. However, regularly defaulting on payments or embarking on a spiral of debt is likely to cause much more damage.

Working to clear your debt will eventually improve your credit rating. It will also help to bring down your stress levels and put the problem into perspective.

It is important to remember that the money adviser will not criticise or judge you. Their aim is to work with you to tackle your debt, putting you back in control.


Whilst at university it is advisable to try and actively manage your money. It's also a good idea to set yourself a budget. Try this simple budget planner to get an idea of your income and expenditure whilst you're at university. 

Your income as a student is generally made up of:

  • a maintenance loan and/or a maintenance grant (for pre-2016 entrants only),
  • a University bursary,
  • extra grants (if you have dependants/disability),
  • benefits (if you have dependants/disability),
  • part-time work,
  • a student overdraft,
  • help from family/friends.

From this, you will need to pay for a range of expenditures. These include rent, bills/utilities, food, clothes, course equipment/trips and the cost of socialising.

How much you spend on these items will vary depending on your individual circumstances. When you have an idea of costs, you can begin to work out your own personal budget to ensure you can pay for the essentials without worrying.

If you need help with your budgeting, please come and see the student funding team. 

Our policies

The Student Funding Team have many policies in place in order to make our service fair and accessible to all students.

Back to top