Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton Logo

We know that as an international student, you may need extra information and support - please know that everyone here is working hard to help you make the best of your experience as a Solent student.

Please read the information below, together with the student and staff FAQs.

If you have not yet arrived in the UK, please also take a look at the Get Ready page on SOL. Please note that only registered Solent students will have access to Get Ready, as it requires a Solent username and password.

If you have any questions about your studies or life at Solent please email

If you have any questions about visas and immigration, or life in the UK, please email

If you receive a positive test, or have been asked to self-isolate, please email 

Scroll down and you will find some frequently asked questions that provide more details specifically for our international students. We'll be updating them regularly, so keep checking back.

Please read these important updates:

Letter from Michelle Donelan, Universities Minister for England, regarding international students joining or returning to a UK university in the 2021/22 academic year.

Covid-19 communications toolkit from the Department for Education

Arrival in the UK

Before you travel, you must check the rules for the country you are coming from or will travel through. If you are coming from or travelling through a red list country, you will need to quarantine for 10 full days in a managed quarantine facility. Click here to information on how to book and pay for a quarantine package.

It is more important than ever to open a bank account before you arrive in the UK.

The UK Government's list of countries from which travellers need to self-isolate or quarantine upon arrival could change shortly before your planned arrival date. We strongly recommend you arrange an international account or bank card to facilitate your self-isolation or quarantine period upon arrival, even if you currently are not required to do so.

In the UK many places accept card payments only, due to the pandemic. Therefore, you should arrange an international bank account or bank card to be able to make card or online payments for basic necessities, such as food shopping, takeaway meals, and paying tuition fees, when you arrive in the UK.

Mastercard and Visa are widely accepted in the UK - you should avoid bringing a large amount of cash with you as opening a UK bank account may take a little while, depending on which bank you choose.

Visas and immigration

There are two different scenarios that may apply to you:

Tier 4 visa holders needing to extend their visa to complete their course in the UK
If you hold a Tier 4 (General) visa and need to extend your visa to continue your course of study, please complete the CAS request form on the student portal.

Visa holders whose leave expires soon but cannot return home due to Covid-19 restrictions
You are expected to take all reasonable steps to leave the UK where it is possible to do so or regularise your stay in the UK.

If you intend to leave the UK but are not able to do so and your leave expires soon, you may request additional time to stay, also known as ‘exceptional assurance’. All details are available on a dedicated UK Government website.

The UKVI will make decisions on a case by case basis on the permitted engagements within the leave granted. Once your exceptional assurance leave is granted you may be allowed to apply for a different visa category. But please note you will not be able to apply for a short-term student visa from within the UK.

Government advice is that no charge is made to an overseas visitor for the diagnosis or treatment of coronavirus. All overseas visitors, including anyone living in the UK without permission, should be aware that:

Students with immigration and visa-related queries can contact the international support team by email:

In addition, the UK Council for International Students (UKISA) has created a frequently asked questions page, which contains information and guidance for international students.

General questions

If you are unable to start your course on time, the admissions team will contact you to allow you to enrol online. You are expected to make arrangement to arrive as soon as possible. You should contact your course tutors will give as much support as possible online but this may not be practically possible for some courses. 

Students don't need to have been vaccinated to come and study in England, but if you are offered a vaccine in your home country, you are strongly encouraged to take it. If you require a second dose, you will be eligible to receive it once you are in the UK. The NHS has established procedures on ensuring individuals are fully vaccinated, even if their first dose is from a vaccine that is not offered in the UK.

As a student enrolled on a Solent course, you will be entitled to register with a local medical practice and receive a Covid-19 vaccine.

This document will answer all your questions regarding vaccination

We accept other equivalent tests or evidence of English language proficiency. More information on this can be found on our course entry statement.

We currently also accept the following tests:



For help with setting up an instalment plan for your tuition fees you should contact the income team on:

If you find yourself in financial hardship the student funding team may be able to help. Please contact them on explaining your situation and confirming your student ID number, visa type and its expiry date.

Back to top