Solent's Covid-19 response
Throughout Solent's Covid-19 response, protecting the wellbeing of our students and staff has remained our top priority.
While we all continue to face uncertainty as a result of the pandemic, we are working hard on a range of ambitious and innovative plans to bring staff and students back to site safely in September, and to ensure all our students receive the excellent experience they deserve.
For more information about what life on campus will look like for staff and students in the new academic year, take a look at our Solent in September section.
In the meantime, we are continuing to monitor the situation closely and to take all necessary steps, in line with Governement guidance, to safeguard our community.
- Continuing to pay all Solent University and Solent University Services Limited employees as normal and in line with University policy.
- Protecting the health and wellbeing of all students and staff by locking down our campuses and moving to remote working (from 19 March 2020).
- Committing to ensuring our students can continue their academic work,and that those in their final years are able to complete their studies successfully. Although teaching is happening in a different way, there are a range of measures in place - from using different technologies and providing access to specialist equipment, to altering assignments and assessments - to make sure they experience as little disruption as possible. Additional tailored advice for students is available in the student FAQs.
- Our student support team remain available to help and advice at email@example.com.
- All our halls of residence remain open and fully operational in order to provide support for those students who need to remain on site. However, regardless of whether students remain on site or move out, the University has waived all rent payments from 24 March for the rest of the academic year.
- Staff remain available to provide additional support to students, particularly those who are working on their dissertation and final year projects, or those who may want help with online and digital delivery.
More information on what is closed and building access information
Self-isolation on campus
We have a small number of students who are self-isolating in halls of residence as a precaution. They are being fully supported by the University to remain completely isolated and are not sharing any facilities with other residents. We have been assured by Public Health England that there is no increased risk to any of our students or staff.
You can find the latest Government advice and guidance on Covid-19 here, and their latest travel advice here.
The Department for Education has launched a new helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 in relation to education for higher education staff, students and parents.
Call: 0800 046 8687
Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
The Home Office has set up a helpline for international higher education staff and students for any immigration queries related to coronavirus, including questions about urgent, compelling, compassionate cases where a Chinese national or other visa national based in China needs to travel to the UK.
(The helpline can only speak to the visa holder or applicant about individual cases. If a third party wishes to speak on their behalf, they must have the visa holder’s permission.)
Call: 0800 678 1767 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm) Calls are free of charge.
Frequently asked questions
FAQs for applicants and new students starting at Solent in September 2020
FAQs for current and returning students studying at Solent in September 2020
Back to top