Skip to main content

It's great to be welcoming more staff back to campus as the academic year begins. As you will know from regular emails and newsletters, we have been working hard to implement a range of ambitious plans and measures to bring colleagues and students safely back to campus.

For more information about when you can access campus, following our phased return to campus operations, please read the important accessing campus principles. You can complete an exceptional circumstances request form here.

I have Covid symptoms - what should I do?

What you should do if you have Covid symptoms

  • You will need to notify your manager and record your absence on MyView, through the absence line on 023 8201 3895, or email, giving your name, department and details of absence.
  • You will be sent home immediately, if currently working on campus, and/or will be told not to come on to site until test results are known.
  • Check government guidelines and obtain a test.
  • If you are well enough to work from home you should do so until test results are in.
  • If you test positive you will be asked to remain at home for the period required, following Government guidelines.
  • If your test comes back negative you can return to work.

One of my dependents has symptoms - what should I do?

  • You should notify your manager and follow normal University policies relating to family related absence.
  • Check Government guidelines and obtain a test. Currently, all other household members need to stay at home and self-isolate for 14 days and the person with symptoms will need to book themselves a test.
  • In line with Solent’s remote working guidance, in agreement with your manager and where you are able to effectively work remotely, you can continue to do so.
  • Once a negative test result is obtained, you can return to working on campus on days agreed and in line with Solent’s accessing campus principles.
  • Any period of absence should be recorded on MyView in the normal way and in line with University policy.

How do I obtain a test? 

Make sure you are clear about the symptoms of coronavirus and when you should get a test. If you have any of the following symptoms, you should get a test:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste.

Advice is provided on the Southampton City Council website for Southampton residents. Alternatively, you can book a test online at GOV.UK, or by calling NHS 119.

You can be tested in one of the following ways:

  • Visit the NHS website to book a free test.
  • Request a home testing kit.
  • Attend a drive through testing site (appointment required).
  • Attend a Southampton local walk-through testing site (appointment required).
    Currently there is a walk-through testing site in Marlborough Road (South) in Shirley (SO15 3ND).

Top five things to remember when returning to campus

  1. Swipe your campus card on a Salto reader DAILY.
  2. Wear a face covering when moving around campus.
  3. Use the hand sanitiser provided when entering all buildings.
  4. Adhere to the one-way systems and social distancing guidance.
  5. Keep checking here for updated info and FAQs.

As you scroll down you will find more specific information and some useful FAQs that are continuously updated.

Thank you for helping us to keep you and others safe!

Working remotely

I can't work effectively from home without additional IT equipment

We are continuously reviewing everyone’s requirements to ensure they are enabled to work remotely, if still required, going forward. There should be no need to purchase additional equipment or software, but there may be the opportunity to collect existing equipment from work where people will be predominantly working from home in the future.

I'm finding it hard to work remotely as I need additional DSE equipment

If you have a query that relates to DSE equipment, please ensure you have completed the DSE training course available on SOL since commencing remote working, even if you have completed the training previously. This should help you manage your ergonomics at home in this interim period.

On the few occasions where this is significantly impacting your health, and the items requested are in line with ongoing medical issues experienced before lockdown commenced, please liaise with your manager who will complete the urgent DSE/IT request form and return to your P&D business partner for further review.

Am I able to claim any tax relief while working remotely?

While we are working remotely and at home on a regular basis, you may be eligible to claim tax relief (subject to HMRC rules) for some of the bills you have to pay. You will need to check your eligibility directly with HMRC by completing the online check and following the instructions. You will not normally be required to keep records of claims of up to £6 per week (£26 per month), subject to HMRC guidance. You can also find more advice on claiming tax relief here.

What about my additional costs for working at home, such as broadband, electricity and printing?

We are in the process of developing a remote working policy which will be shared with staff in the near future. Currently, as the majority of staff are still working remotely and, in the most part, saving money on travel expenses, other expenses cannot be claimed at this time.

I can't/don't want to return to campus - can I continue to work remotely?

Our hopes are that we can maintain working in new, flexible and agile ways, as we have over the last few months. We want to limit the number of people on site as much as possible. When planning the team rotas, managers have been asked for this to be as few days as possible for everyone. Your manager will be able to explain the business reasons why your role and work requires you to be on campus for the days discussed with you.

Where you may have on-going caring issues that impact your ability to return to campus on the days required, please discuss this with your manager in the first instance.

Returning to campus

When will I be coming back to campus?

We have been liaising with managers across the University, together with our suppliers and unions, to explore the requirements of all teams, and how they can work in line with Government guidelines and health and safety recommendations.

For the foreseeable future, social distancing measures mean we will need to operate with a much-reduced capacity on site, so we will need to work very differently.

However, we also know from our experiences over the past months that being more agile and flexible in our approach can allow us to be more innovative and effective, so we have been moving back to campus in a phased way that allows us to retain the benefits of this change, while ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all colleagues. If you haven’t returned to campus yet, please speak to your manager about what the timeline for return looks like for you and your team.

We ask that teams who have returned to campus operate within whatever restrictions are in place at the time, maintaining social distancing as required, and ensuring we are ready if stricter measures need to be introduced.

I am returning to work on campus, what do I need to do?

Once it is agreed between yourself and your manager that you will be returning to campus, please ensure you have read this document and completed our Covid-19 Essentials Training on SOL.

This important induction information will make sure both you and your colleagues remain safe on campus.

I'm still working remotely - can I come on campus to collect some personal items from my office?

The University is restricting access to campus unless absolutely necessary. If you have a business critical request, please email - you will need to complete a campus access request form which will need to be signed off by your head of faculty/service.

Can I organise work-related travel?

Colleagues who need to arrange work-related travel within the UK, eg, conferences/events, should speak to their manager to arrange a local risk assessment ahead of confirming any plans. The University is not currently supporting any work-related travel outside the UK.

See also our general FAQs for what to expect on campus

Back to top