Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Your room

Students living in University residences are in charge of looking after their rooms and everything within them. The following advice may help you to keep your belongings safe and ensure that you don't break your residency agreement.


Core possessions insurance has been provided through Endsleigh for every student who is living at the student residences for the 2024/25 academic year. Your policy number is HH1179.

The insurance covers a range of belongings in your room, including laptops, sports and electrical equipment, clothes and frozen food. This has been arranged by the University at no extra cost to students.

You have the option to customise and extend your policy to suit your individual needs and avoid being under-insured. For example you may also want to insure your other possessions such as your mobile phone, push bike, or laptop for use outside your room.

For claims information or to extend your policy, please visit the Endsleigh website.

Internet connection

Glide is the exclusive provider of broadband services in Solent University student residences. You will register for your internet service before you move into your student residence via the student residences online induction. This will take place once you have received the offer of a room in residences.

Smoking policy

There is no smoking allowed within any part of the University's student accommodation, this includes study bedrooms and communal areas such as kitchens, corridors, toilets, common rooms, lobbies, stairways and landings.

Smoking (including the use of all forms of electronic cigarettes or vaping apparatus) is not permitted indoors or within five metres of any entrance or window of the residence. Designated smoking areas are provided.

Residents who fail to comply with the policy will be in breach of the terms of residency and subject to disciplinary measures.

Guests or visitors of residents breaching the policy will be requested to cease smoking on the premises. A guest or visitor who refuses to stop smoking will be required to leave the premises.

TV licensing

Since 1 September 2016, you need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. You will also need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel.

A TV Licence applies to any device and provider you use, including:

  • TV sets (including smart TVs).
  • Laptops and desktop computers.
  • Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices.
  • Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT Vision).
  • Games consoles.
  • Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV).
  • Freeview, Freesat or YouView.

If you’re found to be using TV without a licence, you may be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000.

Students requiring further information should visit the TV Licensing website.