Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Apprenticeships at Solent

Upskill your staff and grow your business with higher and degree apprenticeships.


Higher and degree apprenticeships (HDAs) are bringing further learning into workplaces all around the country. Solent offers a diverse range of HDAs, all of which are underpinned with recognised and transferable degree qualifications (BA, BSc, etc).

Higher apprenticeships and degree apprenticeships give employees the opportunity to upskill in their chosen field or retrain for a new career while working. They offer employers the opportunity to develop their staff - improving productivity, increasing knowledge and boosting expertise within the workforce.

We currently offer HDAs in chartered management, construction, engineering, healthcare and digital. We will be expanding our provision as more standards become available.

Download our quick guide for employers

Download our quick guide for students

Apprenticeships  ESFA Logo

Tailored to you

Apprenticeship standards are launching every day, so there's a suitable choice for every job role.

Ready for the future

92% of employers believe that offering apprenticeships has lead to a more motivated and satisfied workforce.

Want to find out more?

We run a series of apprenticeship events throughout the year. Contact us for more information.

Find out more


Apprenticeship funding for levy payers

An apprenticeship levy payer is classed as any UK employer with a PAYE bill in excess of £3m. A 0.5% deduction will be taken from PAYE over this £3m marker directly through the HMRC.

This 0.5% becomes the employers levy fund, which they can use to upskill their existing staff with apprenticeship qualifications or introduce new apprentices to their organisation.

Find out more

What if I am a non-levy paying employer?

Non-levy paying businesses and businesses that need to supplement their digital levy account will need to co-invest 5% of the cost of the training. The government will pay the remaining 95%. 

Small businesses (<50 employees) will receive 100% of the funding where the apprentice is 16-18 years old or is between 19-24 and has a local authority education, health and care plan (EHC plan).

Find out more

Apprenticeships at Solent

Our higher and degree apprenticeship programmes are the ideal way for employees to advance their careers. Apprentices work throughout their studies and graduate debt-free with a nationally recognised university qualification. They are great for employers too, helping to attract motivated staff and train them in a way that maximises the impact they can make.

Follow the links below to find out more about the higher apprenticeships and degree apprenticeships that can currently be studied here at Solent. Alternatively, visit our coming soon page to see what courses are in development.

Not sure about University? Consider an apprenticeship

What is an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships offer a unique blend of work experience and academic study. Candidates on an apprenticeship will work a paid job while simultaneously working towards a relevant qualification in their chosen field.

Apprentices are employees with a contract of employment which offers the same benefits and protections as any other employee. Apprentices will typically work for four days of the week, using the remaining day to attend classes and study.

Find out more

The benefits of a higher or degree apprenticeship

Higher and degree apprenticeships give candidates the opportunity to work towards an undergraduate degree. Apprentices work on assignments that are relevant to their workplace, applying their new skills directly to their day-to-day work.

Higher apprenticeships offer an incredible opportunity to reward, incentivise and upskill staff in a cost effective and academically rigorous way. Research has shown that this can increase productivity and retention within the workforce.

Find out more

Here to help

Got a question? You can use the form below to ask our experts about anything related to higher and degree apprenticeships.