Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Apprenticeship funding: SMEs (non-levy payers)

Non-levy paying businesses and businesses that need to supplement their digital levy account will need to co-invest 5% of the cost of their apprentice training. The government will pay the remaining 95%.

Small businesses (<50 employees) will receive 100% of the funding where the apprentice is 16-18 years old, or is between 19-24 and has a local authority education, health and care plan.

Employers and training providers will both receive an additional £1,000 where the apprentice is between 16 and 18 years old inclusive. This is to be paid by way of two equal instalments after 3 and 12 months.

Get in touch

The team here at Solent are happy to talk through your current situation and look at how we can work together to address your training needs.

Get in touch with us via email at or call 023 8201 5066.

Useful links

GOV.UK's apprenticeship homepage

GOV.UK's guide to apprenticeship funding

Step-by-step guide to the apprenticeship service (PDF)

You can also call the National Apprenticeship Service on 08000 150 600 or email them at