Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Clearing 2024 is now open

Already been to university?

The government withdrew funding to universities for students who study for a qualification that is "at the same or on a lower level to" a qualification (ELQ) that they have already been awarded.

Please note: Solent University does not currently administer advanced learner loans. Therefore, we cannot provide you with a learning and funding information letter, should you apply for a loan.

How could this affect me?

If you are a home (UK) or EU student and already have a degree, you may be liable to pay a higher tuition fee amount than the standard rate if you choose to study another degree course. This could be at the rate set for international students.

You may also be ineligible for funding from the government for your fees or living costs.

Please see examples below:

Already have Want to do Possible charge
Degree Degree/HND/HNC Higher rate fee
HND HND/HNC Higher rate fee
Master's Degree/HND/HNC Higher rate fee
HND/HNC Degree/master's Standard rate fee
HNC HND/degree/master's Standard rate fee

Are there any exemptions?

Some students are automatically exempt from the ELQ policy, if studying:

  • undergraduate medicine, dentistry, social work, nursing or teacher training,
  • BA Architecture,
  • or if you are classed as 'overseas' (non-EU) for tuition fee purposes.

This list is not exhaustive. We strongly recommend that you check with Student Finance before you commit to your course.