Friday 19 June 2015
Name the university zebra!
We are supporting Marwell’s Zany Zebras, a public art extravaganza coming to Southampton in 2016, and we need your help to name our zebra!
An online competition, open to students and staff, is being run from 19 June to 17 July 2015 to find a name for the University’s zebra sculpture.
What is Zany Zebras?
We have joined the stampede to support Marwell’s Zany Zebras, helping to bring art to the streets and parks of Southampton. For the ‘mane’ event, Marwell’s Zany Zebras will gallop through the streets of the city for ten weeks during summer 2016, creating a fun, family friendly trail for all to enjoy.
The herd of sculptures will showcase artistic talent in the local area, highlight the plight of zebras in the wild and encourage visitors to experience Southampton. There will also be a trail of replica miniature Marwell Zany Zebras hidden throughout Marwell Zoo itself.
At the end of the ‘mane’ event, the large sculptures will be sold at auction to raise funds to conserve endangered Grevy’s zebras and support communities living in the arid rangelands of northern Kenya.
How to enter…
To enter the competition, follow these simple steps:
- Think up a name for Southampton Solent’s Zany Zebra.
- Send us your suggestion on one of our social media channels with a brief comment or picture on what inspired your name. You can enter through Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Make sure you add #ZanyZebras and tag us (Twitter: @solentoffical, Facebook: SolentUniversity or Instagram: @SolentUniOfficial) for it to be in the running.
If you’re not on social media, you can enter by emailing email@example.com
- The name doesn’t have to start with ‘z’!
- Make sure you follow / like us on social media so we can contact you if you’re name suggestion is chosen.
- Remember that by entering the competition, you agree to let Southampton Solent University use your name and photograph in future publicity.
What are the judges looking for?
Help give our zebra real character and personality. We’ll be looking out for names that capture the creative, collaborative and inclusive ethos of Southampton Solent University.
Nominations will be short-listed by the University’s Marketing Director, and then the winner will be chosen through a public vote on the University’s Facebook page. The winner will be announced in early August via our social media accounts. Good luck!
Note: we will need to check with Marwell that the winning name hasn’t been already taken. If it has, we will use the runner-up.