Enjoy the thrill of taking part in Solent Sound - live! Build your students’ skills in creative industry subjects such as music, media, and writing, with expert support from the Southampton Solent lecturers and students, and hands-on experience with the University’s state-of-the-art professional production equipment.
Students will attend an intro day in November, and develop their music performance, technology, promotion and journalism skills between November and March, before taking part in our Solent Sound live event – either performing, promoting and/or producing music with a live audience and a panel of industry professionals.
Previous prizes have included:
- A support slot for a respected act at the Ageas Bowl stadium, following a NatWest Blast T20 Cricket Match.
- A professional studio or location photoshoot and wall vinyl for the college.
- Two support slots at legendary local venue The Joiners.
- A full recording day at the University.
Our staff and students will work with your learners throughout the programme, monitoring their efforts, contribution and development – all of which impacts on the judges’ final decision!
The programme offers a range of activities related to creative performance:
- Form a band or work as a solo performer.
- Write original material.
- Agree and practice a set list for semi-final and final performances (maximum of 15 minutes).
- Produce recorded track(s).
- Practice multi-tracking and mixing techniques.
- Work with performance students to produce a track(s).
- Sound check: sound engineering and recording.
- Stage setup.
- Prepare for a live semi-final gig, from health and safety to lighting to managing equipment and personnel.
Promotion and journalism
- Event management planning.
- Marketing and promotion campaigns: promotional events, social media, visuals, stories and press releases.
- Artist press packs: biography, audiovisual, music, social media.
The judging panel of industry professionals will make the final decisions and all prizes must be claimed before June 2015.
How to apply
To take part in or find out more about this activity, please contact us:
Back to top
Telephone: 023 8201 3938