Skip to main content

All rooms within the student residences are furnished with a bed, chairs, desk, wardrobe and bookshelf space, but you will need to bring your own:

  • duvet and pillow,
  • sheets, pillowcases and duvet cover or blanket,
  • towels,
  • hangers,
  • toilet rolls,
  • and alarm clock.

All rooms have TV sockets for any portable televisions you may wish to bring. It is, however, a legal requirement from 1st September 2016 for students living in the student residences to buy a TV Licence if they wish to bring a television set and download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider

All of the kitchens within the student residences are equipped with electric hobs, ovens and microwaves, fridge/freezer, kettles and vacuum cleaners.

You will need to bring your own:

  • cooking utensils (pots and pans should be suitable for electric hob),
  • crockery (including cups, plates and dishes),
  • cutlery,
  • tea-towels,
  • and two small padlocks for your personal kitchen cupboard.

It's also important to remember washing powder for use at the laundry and cleaning products to keep your bedroom tidy. Communal space such as kitchens, bathrooms, corridors and landings are looked after by our team of cleaners.

Buying essentials

As discussed above, you may need to buy lots of essential items for your kitchen and bedroom.

To make this easier, several companies offer packs containing all the items that you need. To save on space in the car, many of these companies can arrange for the packs to be delivered into your study-bedroom before you arrive.

Businesses who offer this service include Click2Campus and Uni Kit Out. Please note that these services are not connected to Solent University.

Back to top