Solent University is committed to supporting students who have been in local authority care.
We work in partnership with local councils, schools, colleges and other universities regionally through the 'We Care' Partnership and have dedicated members of staff who will arrange visits and give talks to groups.
If you are a young person in care who would like to know what support we can offer throughout your degree then please do get in touch. You can even come to have a look around and meet other care leavers who are already studying towards their degree.
Our support package includes:
- £1,500 bursary per year, for the duration of your course (that does not need to be repaid),
- an extended halls contract, to provide accommodation all year round,
- care leavers are recognised as a priority group as part of the University's admissions procedure for contextual offers,
- a designated member of staff for additional support,
- inclusion on the 'on-track' scheme and an optional personal support key worker,
- financial health check to ensure you are receiving all the funding you are entitled to, and
- possible further financial support from the University's other grants.
If you are a local authority employee, foster parent or personal advisor, we can work with you to raise aspirations, organise taster days and promote the support on offer here at Solent. We can also organise tours of the University campus.
For more information and the application form for the care leavers bursary please visit our bursary page.
Back to top
Telephone: 023 8201 5200
Visit: The Student Hub (RM050)