The Spirituality and Reflection service provides support to students in an inclusive and non-judgmental environment, regardless of which, if any, faith you hold. Advisers from the major world faiths work alongside the Christian chaplains to provide the greatest access to all.
We offer confidential support in a comfortable environment to tackle any concerns you may have; whether it's about your personal life or your university studies. If you are new to the city, we can also offer assistance with finding an appropriate worship centre.
Quiet room and prayer room
The Spirituality and Reflection service maintains a quiet room and a prayer room on the East Park Terrace campus, both situated in the Reginald Mitchell building (rooms RM030 and RM031). These are open to all students and staff for private prayer or just somewhere to be quiet. The Prayer Room has curtains which allow it to be divided into separate prayer areas. There are washing facilities available.
Local places of worship
Students here at Solent will find that there are a wide variety of worship centres throughout the city. The Spirituality and Reflection service can help to put you in touch with a local like-minded community.
Find out more
Spirituality and Reflection statement of service
- In all dealings with staff and students, to affirm the dignity of each person, regardless of race, colour, creed, gender, gender preference or any other socio-economic factors.
- To enable and, where appropriate to facilitate, religious expression by students and staff – provided this happens within other University policies (ie, dignity at work, equal opportunities, etc).
- To raise religious awareness on campus, through publicity of religious festivals and events, and through occasional services and festivals organised in the University.
- To assist and advise when appropriate, or when advice is sought, on matters religious or ethical, as far as possible, and to refer students to other services, individuals or faith communities when necessary.
- To act as a link between the students and staff and the local faith communities.
- To act as a link between the local faith communities and the students and staff.
- To act as a resource and support for the students’ faith societies.
- To affiliate with appropriate religious and denominational bodies, for personal training and for support and networking.
- To provide pastoral care to the staff and students of Southampton Solent University, through:
- Providing a listening ear
- Responding pastorally on behalf of the University to incidents, as and when necessary, or when requested by another member of staff or a student
- Referring students and staff to other support services in the University or elsewhere, when more appropriate support would be available to them by pursuing this.
To speak the Spirituality and Reflection team, please contact the Student Hub (RM050) at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 023 8201 5200.
Alternatively, you can contact the individual Chaplains or Faith Advisers directly:
Back to top