Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Clearing 2024 is now open

US Federal Loans

Solent University is certified by the US Department of Education to provide both Federal Direct Loans and private student loans via Sallie Mae.

Applying for US Federal Aid (FAFSA)

The principle funding available for students from the USA is a 'direct loan', which is accessed via the US Department of Education's Direct Loan Programme website.

In 2010, these replaced loans from private lenders and are the main way students and parents fund the cost of education while studying in the UK. The lender for the direct loan programme is now the US Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution.

Direct loans are explicitly to cover the primary costs of education (tuition, student accommodation, books/supplies and commuter travel). Direct loans are not intended to cover other expenses that are not directly related to your study. You should plan a budget for your studies (cost of attendance) and you should only borrow what you need. You can find further information and the full terms and conditions of taking out and repaying a loan on the US Department of Education's website.

Full details on applying for a US Federal Loan are contained in the following documents:

Solent University guide to US federal aid 2023/24

To successfully apply for a US federal loan, you will need to complete a cost of attendance form. Please email to request the form be sent to you.

If you are a postgraduate student, please e-mail to request a copy of the relevant documents.

Once completed, please send these forms by email back to

The University's school code is G25616.

Your attention is also drawn to the following University policies

US federal aid consumer information

The US government requires institutions which offer federal student loans to disclose consumer information.

US federal aid consumer information

Terms and conditions of US federal aid

The terms and conditions of requesting and obtaining US financial aid whilst studying at Solent University are available in the link below.

Terms and conditions

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Solent University is required by US Federal Law to define and enforce standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) on students who wish to access US federal funds (subsidised, unsubsidised or PLUS Direct Loans). The University's SAP policy has been established to encourage students to progress and successfully complete the academic course for which aid is received. Guidelines apply to all federal loan recipients, including undergraduates, taught postgraduates, and research postgraduates.

Students should familiarise themselves with the University's SAP policy, including evaluation points, qualitative and quantitative evaluation criteria, the impacts of changes in enrolment status, and the consequences of failing to meet SAP.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy

Return of title IV funds

If you withdraw from your course, suspend your studies, drop below half time, or otherwise become ineligible to receive US Federal Loans you must email immediately. Under US law, the University is required to report any changes to your enrolment and, if necessary, may need to arrange for any “unearned” loan funds to be returned to the US Department of Education.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Default management

Students set to receive federal loans may request a copy of the University’s default management plan [DMP] which provides an overview of the initiatives in place to help students understand their loan responsibilities. If you require a copy of the DMP, please email

Repayment options and obligations

The Direct Federal Loan programme offers loan repayment plans designed to meet the needs of borrowers and allows you to choose your repayment plan. These loans can be repaid within a period of 10 to 25 years depending on which repayment plan you choose. Repayments of your direct loans normally start six months after completion of your course, withdrawing or dropping below half-time attendance.

Before repayment starts you will be provided with repayment options and a repayment schedule from your loan servicer(s) for each type of loan you have borrowed. If you do not receive these schedules towards the end of your grace period contact your servicer because repayment begins whether or you are aware or not.

For repayment information, you can can contact the Federal Student Aid Center on 001-800-4-FED-AID (001-800-433-3243).

Gainful employment disclosures

All non-degree educational programmes are referred to as Gainful Employment (GE) programmes. New US Department of Education regulations require institutions to inform current and prospective students of their prospects for 'gainful employment' when receiving federal financial aid for non-degree programs such as certificates and diplomas.

It is important to note that at Solent University, Title IV federal loans are awarded to degree-seeking students only.

However, University regulations stipulate that if a degree-seeking student terminates their course early, they may receive an 'exit award' in the form of a certificate or diploma if they have fulfilled the appropriate credit requirements.