Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Working in the UK

Work rights are a condition of your immigration permission. This means it is very important that you are clear about what you may and may not do. You must always comply with any restrictions, which are explained in high level detail on this page. Further information and guidance is available on the UK Government or UKCISA website.

Working during study

European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national with EU Settlement status (settled or pre-settled)

If you are an EEA or a Swiss national who applied for the EU Settlement Scheme, or you are the dependant of one, you're permitted to work in the UK without any restrictions on the number of hours or type of work. To prove that you are a national or dependant of a national of an EEA country, you'll need to show an employer your passport or identity card and share your digital status.

Any national on a Standard Visitor visa (short-term study)

If you are studying on a course shorter than six months, or are attending resits or graduation, and you were issued a Standard Visitor visa, you are not permitted to work in the UK.

Any national on the Student visa route

A Restricted Entry sticker in your passport and your BRP card indicate that you can work 10 or 20 hours per week depending on your level of study. You can work full-time during official vacation periods and after your course ends within the additional two or four months, depending on your course duration.

You can apply for and accept jobs in most types of paid roles, at any level. Restrictions on the type of employment permitted under the Student visa apply. You won’t, for example, be able to set up your own business or be self-employed during your course, but you can prepare your business plan to launch your business after your studies. Further details are available on the UKCISA web site

Solent University has a dedicated careers service which provides students with information on job vacancies, career planning, and every aspect of working during and after your studies. For more information, visit the careers section.

Work placements if you have a Student visa

You can work full-time on a work placement only if:

  • Your work placement is no longer than 50% of the length of your course (degree level).
  • The work placement is an assessed part of your course, included in your CAS.

Part-time placement during your permitted working hours is possible, as long as you do not work over 10 or 20 hours during term time.

Working after your studies

Graduate immigration route

This route allows international students to remain in the UK for two or three years (PhD only) after they have completed their studies and engage in paid and unpaid employment.

Skilled Worker visa

To secure a Skilled Worker visa you will need to be sponsored to do a specific job, which meets certain skill and salary requirements, by an employer that has been licensed by the Home Office. Our Solent Futures careers service can set you on the right path during your studies with advice and guidance on employability.

Global Talent visa

The Global Talent visa is available for talented and promising individuals in the fields of science, engineering, medicine and humanities, digital technology, and arts and culture who wish to pursue their career in the UK. There are two routes available, which cater for different levels of experience. Exceptional Talent is for people who are already established as leaders or recognised experts in their field. Exceptional Promise is for people who have the potential to become leaders or recognised experts in their field.

Family members working in the UK

Family members on a Dependant visa

Family members on a Dependant visa are permitted to undertake any type of work, full-time and part-time, employed and self-employed. However, they cannot take employment as a doctor or dentist in training unless they have a degree in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution.

Family members on a Standard Visitor visa

Any family member visiting you on this visa will also be prohibited from working in the UK.

Working legally

You should always have a pay slip, showing how much you have earned and any deductions made. If you're working 'cash in hand', you are not working legally. If you're unsure about your pay slip, please check with the International Student Adviser.

National Insurance and Income Tax

For full details of how to apply for a National Insurance number, how much tax you can expect to pay and how to claim tax back, please see the student tax advice on the website.