Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Study abroad - Incoming exchange

Solent University welcomes incoming exchange students from our partner universities, and short-term fee paying students into our study abroad programme. Here, you'll find everything you need know about how to apply and what to expect.

From Canada to Southampton - studying at university in the UK

Study periods abroad allow you to experience a different culture and add an international dimension to your curriculum vitae. Support and induction programmes are available for all students coming to study here with us.

For students who would like to study with us outside of an exchange partnership, we offer a Study Abroad programme. This course allows international students to study with us for either a semester or a year.

You can find more information about our Study Abroad programme here

Incoming exchange

Solent University welcomes incoming students on an exchange basis. Studying and living in the UK is an excellent opportunity and experience and these students bring their cultural background and contribute to the student experience. Incoming exchange students enhance the richness and diversity of the experience of studying at Solent University for all our students.

What you'll study

We offer a broad range of study pathways - these are listed on the module choices for exchanges and Study Abroad students page.

English requirements

All exchange students need to demonstrate sufficient English language skills. B2 level is required in all components (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking). You will be required to show proof of your level of English with an English test certificate or a letter from your institution.

Students who require a visa will need to meet any additional requirements around English language set down by the University.

See the University's English requirements

Visa requirements

The visa application process for study after 1 January 2021 will depend on your nationality. For study up to six months, you will be subject to short-term student visa requirements. Please see our visas and immigration page for more information. As the UK Government issues guidance for EU, EEA and Swiss national students, this website will be updated.

How to apply

To apply for a place as an exchange student at Solent University you will first need to be formally nominated by your home university. On receipt of your nomination, the academic partnerships office will email you with details of the application process, including the online application form.

Please see the nomination and application deadlines below.

Application and nomination deadlines

All nominations should be sent to the Study Abroad and Exchange team no later than:

  • 30 April for semester one or full year study
  • 15 October for semester two study

To nominate a student, partner universities are requested to email for details about the nomination process.

Contact us

If you have any questions about our exchange programmes or partnerships, please contact the International Office on