Skip to main content

For entry to our undergraduate and postgraduate courses, you'll be required to show evidence of your academic background and your professional experience, when applicable.

Students from outside the EU will have the choice of applying either via UCAS or through a local agent. For more information, please email our admissions team using or call +44 23 8201 5066.

Undergraduate courses

Appropriate minimum entry requirements of a bachelor's degree include:

  • High school leaving examinations equivalent to British A-levels
  • International or European Baccalaureate
  • International Foundation Year.

Postgraduate courses

Appropriate minimum entry requirements of a taught master's degree include:

  • British bachelor's degree with a minimum of 2:2
  • Or any recognised equivalent of the above qualification.

To find out whether your qualification is suitable for entry to one of our undergraduate or postgraduate courses, please see your country in the international section. 

English language requirements

If English is not your first language, you will be required to demonstrate an acceptable level of both written and spoken English before being accepted onto one of our programmes.

All international applicants need to be aware that the English language requirements to attend Solent University may be different from the English language requirements to obtain a visa from UK Visas and Immigration.

This means that if you meet the University's language requirements and gain a place on the course, you may still have to meet additional requirements to be issued with a visa by UK Visas and Immigration (5.5 in all four components of the IELTS, 51 in all four components of the Pearson Test of English Academic, or equivalent, for degree level and above).

We strongly advise all applicants to visit the UK Visas and Immigration website, which outlines the requirements for a successful visa application.

For information about Solent University and UK Visas and Immigration requirements, please refer to Appendix B of our Course Entry Requirement Statement.

If you are applying for a course which is below degree level, you must have completed a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to be able to obtain a visa.

For further information, please contact our international recruitment team:

Telephone: +44 23 8201 5646

Home Office-approved English language tests

From 6 April 2015, only IELTS and Trinity College London English language tests are approved by the Home Office as secure English language tests (SELTS) for immigration purposes.


Solent University has teamed up with Password to offer an online exam which covers all four components of language learning. The test can be taken either at the Solent University campus or abroad at planned times of the year.

Password tests academic English in four skills - reading, writing, listening and speaking - for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Using Password ensures students are equipped with the appropriate skills to successfully undertake and complete their academic courses.

The tests are designed and developed by academics and are continuously refreshed with new questions.

The Password test will only be recognised for UK visa and immigration purposes for students who have applied for a course at degree level or above. If you are applying for a course below degree level, you must complete a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to be able to obtain a visa.

For more information about the Password test, please contact the admissions team.

To learn more about the password test, please visit the link below.

Password skills guide

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and Secure English Language Test (SELT)

In February 2015, the Home Office advised education providers of new Secure English Language Test (SELT) centres located throughout the UK and the rest of the world. Applicants who want to go to a UK-based test centre can find their nearest centre and are able to book online through providers Trinity College and IELTS. IELTS tests can be taken around the world, but Trinity College London tests must be taken in the UK. The Home Office has produced a list of SELTS which have been assessed as meeting their requirements.

Can I be exempt from taking an English test?

Some countries will have an educational system fully or mostly taught in English, in which case we may not require that you take an English test. 

Students from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from undertaking a language test prior to applying for a Tier 4 visa (Tier 4 sponsor policy guidance version 10/13).

  • Antigua and Barbuda 
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada (if education was taught in English)
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitt and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States of America

Some aspects of the English entry requirements are currently being looked at by UK Visas and Immigration within the tier 4 student visa. Consequently, some countries listed above may be affected. Please check with UK Visas and Immigration for an update.

How can I improve my English before joining my course?

We offer a variety of English language programmes if you need or wish to improve your level of English before joining one of our undergraduate or postgraduate courses.

Still not sure? Contact us

For further information on this topic, or for any queries regarding international applications, please contact our international recruitment team:

Telephone +44 23 8031 9646

Back to top