Wednesday 12 August 2015
I have my results... now what?
If you have your results but you’re not sure what to do next then check out our top tips for clearing.
If you haven’t met your offers, have changed your mind or only recently decided to apply for a university place, clearing is for you.
Solent’s Head of Student Recruitment, Karen Arnold, also has some advice to help you through the process:
- Keep calm: consider your options and take some time to think them through.
- Get advice: teachers, careers advisers, parents and universities are all good sources of advice. Look at websites to find out about courses, facilities, accommodation and social life at universities you didn’t consider the first time.
- Be organised: when you contact your chosen university have these details to hand:
- The course or subject area that interests you.
- UCAS application number, if you have one.
- Exam results, all of them, including GCSEs.
- People have the power: make sure your phone and laptop/tablet are fully charged before you make that call/start a live chat!
- Get online: get in touch with other prospective students using social media, or chat to current Solent students in our Clearing hub through our live chat or email.
- Be flexible: If the degree you wanted isn’t on offer, consider related subjects. Check what’s available and whether it suits you.
- Money matters: Most universities offer bursaries and scholarships and can advise you on eligibility criteria. You can also find out about part-time work. At Solent we have a job shop service that helps students find work.
- Get to know the university: Once you have an idea of the course you want to study, try to visit. Make sure you like the university – you’re going to be there for at least three years. Why not visit us at our Clearing open day on Saturday 15 August?
- Everybody loves good neighbours: Think about where you’ll live. University accommodation is a great place to work, relax, socialise and meet new friends. If you visit the campus in advance, ask to be shown the student accommodation.
- Don’t worry and don’t panic! It’s not too late to find the right course for you. Our trained student advisors are on hand to offer advice and support. #WeAreSolent
For help or information you can call our clearing hotline on 023 8001 1722; visit our website, email us, live chat to us and contact us on Facebook or Twitter.
Solent’s Clearing hotline is open from 7am to 8pm Thursday 13 and Friday 14 August; 9am to 5pm on Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 August; then 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday throughout the summer.
If you would like to watch the Solent Students’ Union President Naomi Oiku provide some advice on how to enter clearing, her clearing top tips and what to do after clearing they are all available here. You can also hear from Jodie, Daniel and Joe on their clearing stories.