Skip to main content
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo
Solent Unviersity Southampton logo

Access Solent is a targeted advice and support service, working to support disabled students so they can achieve their academic potential. We aim to remove barriers to learning and enable students to enjoy the full use of all facilities here at Solent University.

To get the most out of your time at university, you are encouraged to declare any:

  • specific learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADD, ADHD),
  • chronic or long term medical conditions (for example, chronic pain, epilepsy, ME, MS, HIV, cancer, diabetes),
  • physical or sensory impairments (for example, brain injury, partially sighted, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy),
  • mental health conditions (for example, anxiety, depression, eating disorders), and
  • autistic spectrum declarations (for example, Aspergers).

Learning support

Students with disabilities can access a range of support services:

  • Confidential advice and guidance about academic support.
  • Access to academic support (eg, support plan, exam arrangements).
  • Screening and advice on obtaining diagnostic evidence.
  • Advise about DSA (Disabled Students Allowance).
  • Liaising with course teams about reasonable adjustments and support.
  • Assistive technology, workshops and equipment loans.

Accessible venues, accommodation, and assistance dogs

The University has made significant investments in accommodation facilities, which now offer vibrating pillows for deaf students, hoists and purpose-built rooms with ground floor access.

We also have larger rooms for students who may just need extra space for essential equipment and can provide fridges in bedrooms for medical purposes. Further necessary adaptations can be made following an occupational therapist's assessment.

If you need support or adaptations in University halls of residence, email the completed personal needs form for living in student residences to The Accommodation Team will then contact you.

Personal needs form for living in student residences

Students can agree individual Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPS) with the University's Health, Safety and Environment Manager.

We also have information and guidance for students who have assistance dogs about bringing them on to campus and into the student residences.

Find out more about Access Solent on Solent Online Learning

Additional funding

Students with a disability may be eligible for additional funding. This funding is to help with any additional costs that may occur as a result of disability. To find out more, visit our bursary page or the GOV.UK Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) website.


You are encouraged to share your diagnosis and support needs with Access Solent. This is so we can advise about your next steps and support available at the University. Email the completed Access Solent consent form and Solent summary of support needs to Access Solent will then email your next steps.

Download the Access Solent consent form

Download the Solent summary of support needs form

Disabled access around the city

Southampton City Council offers a number of services to disabled people. Southampton Shopmobility is a service that provides wheelchairs and scooters to people with walking difficulties, enabling them to access the city centre independently. Manual wheelchairs, electric wheelchairs and electric scooters are available to hire Monday - Saturday between the hours of 9.15am and 4.45pm.

Other services available include shopping companions and extended hire of manual chairs (up to 14 days).

Westquay also offer a shopmobility service, limited to the Westquay centre only, open seven days a week. More details can be found on their website.

Contact us

If you have any questions about support at university, take a look at the Access Solent pages on Solent Online Learning, or email

Back to top