Marine engineering workshops
Purpose-built and fully-equipped for teaching the use of machine tools, welding, and electrical maintenance for marine engineers.
About the marine engineering workshops
Our engineering workshops include extensive facilities for bench and hand fitting, as well as the use of machine tools, welding, marine power plant and electrical maintenance.
There are laboratories for thermodynamics, mechanical and control engineering experiments, as well as a specialised control laboratory for electronic navigational systems operations and the maintenance of radars, navigational aids and control systems.
The training programme that takes place in the workshops covers all marine engineering workshop skills elements, including use and care of hand tools, measuring equipment, drilling machines, centre lathes, vertical milling machines, off-hand grinding machines and welding equipment. The programme then advances to cover maintenance skills, assembly skills and electrical/electronic practice. All training is mandatory and is normally undertaken as part of one of the engineer officer of the watch unlimited certification programmes.
The marine engineering workshops are located at our cadet education centre at St Mary's, Southampton.
- Extensive facilities for bench/hand fitting and the use of machine tools, turning, drilling, milling, etc.
- A welding shop for teaching gas, electric arc, MIG and TIG welding procedures.
- A variety of diesel engines, pumps, boiler and other ancillary equipment utilised to provide hands-on experience in the maintenance and operation of marine power plant.
- Electrical workshop facilities where electrical maintenance and operational and fault finding procedures on such items as switchboards, motors and circuits are demonstrated and practiced.
- Laboratories for the conduct of thermodynamics, mechanics and control engineering experiments and development of associated practical expertise.
- A specialised control laboratory for electronic navigational systems operations and maintenance on such items as radars, navigational aids and control systems.
Courses that use this facility
- FdEng Marine Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering
- HND Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering