Accredited by BASES, our physiology laboratory is equipped with the latest equipment used for physiological and biomechanical assessment.
About the physiology laboratory
Our physiology laboratory is accredited by The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES), confirming the high professional standards of the lab's facilities, equipment, procedures, and staff expertise. BASES is widely recognised as the leading UK professional body in sport and exercise sciences. The University's physiology laboratory is part of a small group of universities and the English Institute of Sport (EIS) to have achieved accredited status.
The physiology laboratory is used for testing by professional sports teams such as Southampton FC, GB Wheelchair Rugby, GB Speedway, Hampshire Cricket and a wide range of endurance athletes (running and cycling). The laboratory is also used regularly by students and staff to conduct research projects.
Take a virtual tour of the physiology labVirtual tour
- EKF Diagnostics blood analysers.
- Lode Excalibur Sport.
- h/p/cosmos Saturn treadmill for use with your own wheelchair or bike.
- Cortex Metalyzer 3B.
- GPS monitoring system.
- Woodway treadmills.
- Team heart rate monitoring systems.
- Bod Pod.
- Lode Arm ergometer.
- AlterG Treadmill
- Cortex MetaMax 3B
Courses that use this facility
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
- BSc (Hons) Sport Coaching
- BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Health, Nutrition and Exercise Science
- MSc Clinical Exercise Science
- MSc Sport Science for Performance Coaching
- MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine in Football
This facility is available to hire
If you are an athlete looking to build a training plan, or you are recovering from a sports-related injury, the physiology laboratory can provide you with the equipment, support and advice to build effective training or injury rehabilitation programmes.Find out more about external hire